Clutch Type Sure-grip Chatter?

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just had a 741 w/ a clutch type sure-grip rebuilt and now after maybe 200-miles it's making some interesting chattering noises when I turn at low speeds the until it's nice and warm.

Sadly, I forget which type gear oil I put in it after the rebuild. I think it was Royal Purple - which is supposed to have friction additive built into it. Could this be a friction additive issue?

I had it rebuilt by an excellent mechanic so I trust it was done right. Any suggestion on where to start with this, or maybe this chatter is normal?

Thanks.

Add some friction modifyer. My 95 Dana 80 would do that every year or two, I just added a tube of additive and it was good again.

Been there and done that with the Royal Purple, I think its a wives tail or false advertising. I have a fresh rebuilt Power Lok in mine and it chattered after the first long drive in the heat at a bout 500 miles. At Dr Diffs recommendation I drained it and used GM modifier with some Lucas 75/140 then let it sit over night and it is excellent now. It was so bad that I was certain I broke a cross shaft and it is good as new with a fluid change. I would go ahead and run it for a good 500 miles or so before draining it though, might as well get it good and broke in first. Next question is did you put a drain in it when it was apart? lol!

Been there and done that with the Royal Purple, I think its a wives tail or false advertising. I have a fresh rebuilt Power Lok in mine and it chattered after the first long drive in the heat at a bout 500 miles. At Dr Diffs recommendation I drained it and used GM modifier with some Lucas 75/140 then let it sit over night and it is excellent now. It was so bad that I was certain I broke a cross shaft and it is good as new with a fluid change. I would go ahead and run it for a good 500 miles or so before draining it though, might as well get it good and broke in first. Next question is did you put a drain in it when it was apart? lol!

Nope, didn't put a drain plug in! I think I'll do that when I swap in some new oil and additive.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

When I would tow my 35 ft fifth wheel and make a turn the clutches in my 95 4x4 CTD would sound like it was coming apart. Added some modifier and would be good to go.

-
Back