Clutchflite Info

-
Interesting. I have always been under the belief that when low and reverse where engaged, it also preloaded the driveshaft and rear gear.
No sir. The transmission is basically locked up.

So. Could you use a line lock to load tension in conjunction with transbrake to hold and stall, you could have all the slop taken up and ready for launch? Is this typical set up? Then not shocking the driveshaft and rear gears as abruptly. Off the post topic, but now I am curious.

Last edited:
So. Could you use a line lock to load tension in conjunction with transbrake to hold and stall, you could have all the slop taken up and ready for launch? Is this typical set up? Then not shocking the driveshaft and rear gears as abruptly. Off the post topic, but now I am curious.
I always wondered about that. It is the snap from the output to the axles that seams to be the most destructive, There is several built in cleances and slop. My car foot braking was less aggressive then idle to launch just sitting there. I believe a trans brake would have destroyed my 8 3/4. Holding that load to the wheels without push from higher RPM launch on the 2 step.

I always wondered about that. It is the snap from the output to the axles that seams to be the most destructive, There is several built in cleances and slop. My car foot braking was less aggressive then idle to launch just sitting there. I believe a trans brake would have destroyed my 8 3/4. Holding that load to the wheels without push from higher RPM launch on the 2 step.
I definitely think foot braking it would be easier on the gears and shafts due to it being in load and less slop for the shock. Especially with street gears. Pro gears are softer to help with the shock as teeth don't break quite as easy. But on the street they would wear out faster. Dedicated 'brake car or stick car would want the Pro gears, I would think. I have seen many twisted axle shafts, always from sudden grip or sudden stop.

I am now thinking maybe a racer thread like....

Nostalgia Drag Racing Wins and Fails. Show us some odd things that worked and didn't in old school drag racing. Like the Missle wire car..then clutch flites.. hmmmm maybe??
I posted this exactly in the Racer Forum. Please chime in

I always loved the idea of a Clutch flute setup, especially after building my (long gone) 1974 Cuda 383 with solid motor mounts, Cheetah full manual valve body and a way to stiff converter. When that car shifted it was like getting hit in the teeth with a ball peen hammer, glorious violence. My opinion on transbrake is the are brutal on the rest of the car because of the shock, and you have to really have a solid setup to launch without lunching anything in the driveline. When I race my manuals I heel toe to preload the driveline as much as I can without pushing the front tires.

-
Back