Coil getting hot!! Why?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
Trying to fire off new 360. Coil is getting hot! Car wont start. I installed all new ignition. Dist. coil, and orange box. why would coil get so hot?

is blk/ylw wire to - side? blu/ylw to 12v side of ballast resistor? original wire to coil +? wires on coil backwards?

Yes Details . Its electronic points free.I got MP dist. kit from Summit with dist., resistor,orange box. New coil also. Old 72 Swinger had points.I wired everything according to instructions. I will have to recheck wires to coil in the morning,as the skeeters ran me out of shop about dark.But I am pretty sure they are correct. I have good spark going into dist.

When you are cranking the engine to start it the ballast resistor is bypassed and is allowing full battery voltage to the coil.

The ballast is bypassed during starting to allow the coil to produce a hotter spark to help the engine start. The coil is not designed to for extended cranking like this and that's why it is getting hot. This also the reason you can't bypass the ballast resistor permanently.

You need to find out why its not starting. If you have a good spark then its timing or fuel. If it does not at least try to start with a second or two of cranking continual cranking won't fix it and as you have learned stresses parts.

If the engine was running with points prior to the swap did you make sure that the rotor is pointing to the number one plug wire on the cap at TDC. Its pretty easy to put the distributor in with the rotor 180 degrees out.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I have to recheck the dist. in regards to being 180 out. I was so sure I got it right,but maybe not.I had engine on compression stroke on #1 on tdc and rotor pointing at #1, but I am sure enough going to recheck it.

I just checked my dist. On the compression stroke { finger over #1 plug hole method} on #1 . If I am out 180 degrees where will the rotor point? If I am out 180? How do I correct it ? Pull dist. up and simply spin shaft 180?

Is the coil mounted horizontally or vertically? A horizontal mount will make it get hot per the tech guys at Summit. (Had that same problem on the 83 Dodge 360 pickup. Now it's vertical and doesn't get warm.)

I put it on its side on the driver inner fender. I guess that would be counted as horizontally. I didnt know it would make a difference,but what do I know!! I am sure enough going to upright it and see if it cools off. thanks

I just checked my dist. On the compression stroke { finger over #1 plug hole method} on #1 . If I am out 180 degrees where will the rotor point? If I am out 180? How do I correct it ? Pull dist. up and simply spin shaft 180?

Yes, if you are 180 deg out, pull the dist up and rotate the rotar 180 deg.

Ok thanks. What if I got the intermidate shaft off a tooth or so? Will that make a big difference?

It is also perfectly normal for the coil to be mounted horizontally. Just like MaMopar designed it.
The trick is to have the coil situated so the terminals are on the top of the coil.

Sweet! I was thinking thats the way the 1 one 318 was -laying down. I went back out rewired the dist. to match the new number one position and got the fuel pump wired up permanant and low and behold she roared to life!! AND I MEAN ROOOAAARRRDD- Scared the pooh out of me. But wow she sounds stout1. Supposed to be between 450 and 500 hP. Thanks for all the feed back folks,without yalls help I was lost. I have no one to help but yall and yall are the bestest.!!

Sweet! I was thinking thats the way the 1 one 318 was -laying down. I went back out rewired the dist. to match the new number one position and got the fuel pump wired up permanant and low and behold she roared to life!! AND I MEAN ROOOAAARRRDD- Scared the pooh out of me. But wow she sounds stout1. Supposed to be between 450 and 500 hP. Thanks for all the feed back folks,without yalls help I was lost. I have no one to help but yall and yall are the bestest.!!

Condrat's Dale!! I will have to take a short trip to Hoxie and finally come by and say hello , Did you have it 180 deg out?.

Yes I did have it 180 out. I will restart it this evening and set the timing and check for leaks and such. I have some linkage on 727 to adjust as well. Sure am glad it started so easily.

Hats off to all you guys and gal that tried to help Dale. This has got to be my weakest area on a car but thanks to all yall i know i can get er done with the help of yall. Good luck with her Dale.

-
Back