Coil mounting

-

phish1270

phish1270
Reaction score
Where is your coil mounted? Mine is currently on the back of the manifold, near the distributor. It seems like the heat from the manifold may not be good for them even though that is where they were mounted from the factory. Are they ok on the manifold or should I move mine? Any pics? I am doing the electronic upgrade so I wanted to clean things up while I was at it & wire it all up nicely. Thanks in advance.

Any truth to this:

Ive heard that it should be mounted so that the positive and negative posts are at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. Something about the oil inside protecting the coil better.

Thanks for all the info guys. Stock location it is. While I was disconnecting it to do my ignition upgrade it was pointing down & some oil leaked out, is that normal? Should oil come out if it is tipped upside down or is the coil bad? Thanks again.

Oddly, when i bought a replacement coil for the worn out and leaking Stinger coil, the MSD instructions said to mount it upright. I made a bracket from a piece of .080" thick 7075 T6 that was bent 90 degrees before heat-treat and sandwiched the plate between the ignition box and the fender well so the flange hangs off the edge.

I have mine mounted upright in the stock location. Found a universal coil mount at the parts store (I think Spectre makes it) that allows you to mount it vertically or horizontally. I also added a rubber shock mount to the rear mount which made it level with the forward one in order to make the mount work.

I have an MSD Blaster SS E-core coil mounted on the firewall next to the distributor. I orignally had a Blaster 2 mounted in the stock location but it started acting up after a couple of years and that is when I learned MSD recomends that there oil filled coils not be mounted horizontally. Don't know if that is why it went bad or not but if you have a Blaster 2 coil I would follow there recomendations.

I have an MSD Blaster SS E-core coil mounted on the firewall next to the distributor. I orignally had a Blaster 2 mounted in the stock location but it started acting up after a couple of years and that is when I learned MSD recomends that there oil filled coils not be mounted horizontally. Don't know if that is why it went bad or not but if you have a Blaster 2 coil I would follow there recomendations.

That's good to know, I have mine on the fish mounted in the stock position. My space is kinda limited though so it makes it a little hard to relocate it.

I've had the same msd blaster 2 for 9yrs.
I had it on my slant mounted on it's side to the fender.
That same coil was then on my 340 [stock location] and now on my 410 [stock location]

No problems.

Even mounted upright, the g forces would move any air pocket [if there was one] exposing the windings at the most crucial time=wot.

My Coil is mounted upright at on the firewall. I can use the stock length wire it is not far from the original location on the manifold. I have not had any issues with it mounted at the firewall.

-
Back