Coil recomendation

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I was recomended to buy a MSD blaster coil for my '74 318. I'm not sure what kind is on it now. I think I paid $15 for it on ebay years ago. It's all chrome. I was told for $45 or so you can't go wrong. After doing some reading it sounds like I can't use my OEM replacment ballast resistor. Is it just not up to the task? Is it worth spending the money for the beefed up one from MSD?

Thanks for any info.

If it says not to use the stock resistor it's probably because the MSD coil pulls more current and will fry the stock one. Or it could also be the resistance requirement for the MSD is different and the stock resistor will fry the MSD coil. Either way if you don't like to be left setting on the side of the road buy the right one. I think it's only about $15-16 isn't it?

I found out I can get an accel superstock coil from my work. Which means I get a small discount. So I'm leaning towards that. The volts are the same as the MSD. But Summit list three different resistors for the accel. Which one would I need? Or does it make much difference?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Ballast-Resistors/?keyword=accel

You need to get the one that's recommended for the coil. It says it comes supplied with one for use with point type ignitions. Not sure if it even needs one for electronic ignition. look on Accel's website and you should find it.

BTW: A coil's output voltage isn't everything. Amperage and spark duration has alot to do with how much power a coil puts out. If your engine is stock or near stock you probably won't see any difference in performance with any coil anyway.

-
Back