Coilovers

-

stroker416

Destroyer of Legend at C/S Speed LLC
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any of you guys who've installed coilovers in place of torsion bars have had any issues with having to clearance the frame. Seems like its going to be a close fit when the suspension is fully dropped. Anyone have any similar clearance issues or fixes?

Always willing to see pics of someones progress!!! :-D So it went pretty smooth?

I'll upload the pics tomorrow. I put a set of tubular uppers on too. Too do the job I cut the bump stop brace out, then cut an opening halfway down the framerail below the shock tower. Then I made a box to wel inside the frame and also two triangular boxes to weld to the top of the other box and then to area beneath the upper control arm attachments and the inside of the inside frame rail...I'll pos the pics tomorrow, it's hard to explain.

took some pics of the coilover install right after i moved the cuda to the new garage. When I rake it all apart again it'll be easier to see how i clearanced the frame...

Here's after the install.
2047986_79_full.jpg

2047986_82_full.jpg

2047986_83_full.jpg

Close-up of the clearancing and the boxing. When I strip it to finish it I'll post better pics...

2047986_81_full.jpg

2047986_80_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/2047000-2047999/2047986_88_full.jpg?

Sorry the pics came out so big.

Thanks for the pics!! Looking good, I cant wait to see the stance of the car when its complete!

Wondering if any of you guys who've installed coilovers in place of torsion bars have had any issues with having to clearance the frame. Seems like its going to be a close fit when the suspension is fully dropped. Anyone have any similar clearance issues or fixes?

My understanding has always been that the shock towers are not strong enough to support the entire front end of the car. Are you running a support brace?

My understanding has always been that the shock towers are not strong enough to support the entire front end of the car. Are you running a support brace?

Yeah. Since there's no weight on the car yet, engine, trans, or anything else. I just havent made it. Im going to run a piece of 1 5/8 tubing from the firewall to the framerail on each side. Where it passes over the shocks towers Im going to gusset each side...just waiting for the power company to turn on the service at my new garage.

thats a sweet setup fwaugh. same concept i was planning, but I'm going to curve my bars to the contour of the inner fender so they follow right above the shock tower.

Bet that stiffened up the car a good bit. how thick are the steel plates on the firewall?

-
Back