Cold Air Ducting - What Material?

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
So I want to add a cold air intake to the Duster. I was at the hardware store today and picked up a pair of 5" to 4" reducers to use as the inlets. I plan on using a 14x4@80 box from www.RamAirBox.com.

My question is what type of ducting should I use? I know it will need to be 4" tubing. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and neither had any of the black plastic tubing in a practical length (all 50-100 feet or so). The other option was aluminum dryer hose, which I'm leaning towards. I'm worried the plastic stuff won't hold up to temperature under the hood and the aluminum stuff may transfer heat into the intake.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - STAN

I would be concerned the dryer hose may slow down the velocity of the air. With all the ridges.

Try your local industrial hose and tubing outlet or hydraulic shop plenty of choices in there. Just tell what you doing and they will have the correct tubing for the temp and size.

It's what I did

Benton

I deal with Ram Air directly and even they suggest to use dryer hose which is available from any home improvement center. That is what they use. The reason they suggested getting it from Lowes is because their's is so expensive and it doesn't come with the kit.

Nice site Ramcharger. Thanks.

Xstream, thanks for the feedback. I was trying to save money where I could. I saved at least $27 just by buying the reducers at the hardware store. $15 vs $42.

I used 4" exhaust pipe and rubber joints on both of my Dakotas. Both were primarily set up for Nitrous shark nozzles in mind. Makes about 3 tenths difference when connected.

-
Back