Collector plates or Hobbyist plates?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I'm sure this may differ from state to state, but right now I just have the general daily driver plates on my car, but I want to get Collector plates.
The problem is from what I understand cars with Collector plates are for stock cars that are 20+years and older. Well, my car was a slant 6, and is not a 360 so it is no where near stock. So I can't get Collector plates??

I guess what I can get are "Hobbyist" plates. Those are for cars 20+ years that are modified, like Rat Rods and such.

Both these plates you only have to register once.

See the Collector plates are a nice color blue, and red lettering, so I really would like those, the Hobbyist plates are a dark green and kind of ugly.

You think I should try for the Collector plates anyway? Would you think I'd be in some sort of trouble if they found out it wasn't stock?

Thanks!

Go with the Collector plates the only limitation is that ya cant drive the car in like dec jan and feb. No mileage restrictions. I had em on my Duster till I moved to IL. As long as your car isn't a race car your pretty much golden the DMV would frown if it was a tube chassis car but an engine swap they prolly won't even catch esp since your car could come with one from the factory.

What you you get out of this??

"Hobbyist registrations differ from collector registrations, which are available for vehicles 20 years old or older that have not been altered or modified from the manufacturer's specifications."

lol tell a lil white lie, they really don't check as long as you have a title you'll be able to get collector plates.

I've seen collector plates on freaking k cars and buick centuries.
as long as its 20 years old its elegible.

I have HEARD as well, that cops don't mess with you for things like loud exhaust with hobbyist plates, because with Collector plates the car is still expected to be stock.

Like I say, that is what I HEARD, I really have no idea.

-
Back