Color Combo question

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
I have a 68 UU1 blue Barracuda that will either be repainted the same color or turquoise. A 360 will eventually go in place of the slant six. For reasons stated on another thread, I plan to tell my Chevy neighbors its a 318. I even have the 318 Four Barrel pie tin. Problem is, the pie tin is orange. I was planning on painting the 360 either blue or red with matching valve covers and intake and a black air cleaner. I'm thinking the orange pie tin might not look right. A friend says go with a chrome air cleaner and that will set it off just right. Any opinions?

why the big secret about what the engine really is? I just don't understand why you want to hide what it really is.

any ways , the orange and red are not that far off in shades and with the black air cleaner , I don't think it would be that big a deal

Thanks for the tip. Try to look at it this way, everyone has different tastes, likes, and dislikes. For example, I don't understand why people like the heat because I prefer winter. I have a 68 Charger. I've seen several painted purple and don't like that color choice at all on that year Charger. That doesn't make them wrong, it just means they have a different preference. I grew up around people who were always bragging about the cars and trashing out others. Still others did as much as they could to attract attention to their cars with the loudest exhaust, loudest paint, biggest tires etc. There was/is nothing wrong with that but its not my style. I always liked the subtle approach. Its what suits my personality and I am going that way. Anyway, I do appreciate your opinion and I think I'm going with the black air cleaner after all because I agree with you.

Thanks for the tip. Try to look at it this way, everyone has different tastes, likes, and dislikes. For example, I don't understand why people like the heat because I prefer winter. I have a 68 Charger. I've seen several painted purple and don't like that color choice at all on that year Charger. That doesn't make them wrong, it just means they have a different preference. I grew up around people who were always bragging about the cars and trashing out others. Still others did as much as they could to attract attention to their cars with the loudest exhaust, loudest paint, biggest tires etc. There was/is nothing wrong with that but its not my style. I always liked the subtle approach. Its what suits my personality and I am going that way. Anyway, I do appreciate your opinion and I think I'm going with the black air cleaner after all because I agree with you.
im by no means saying there is anything wrong with it, just curious why the big secret LOL . ive had so -called red paint actually look orange. this is duplicolor "Chrysler red"

Attachments

• a43.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 333
I hear you and it is always good to get someone else's perspective. I might decide it is silly and just go with the 360 Pie tin. I like your motor and the color after all. It's a small block but what size?

My '68 Charger is KK1. Ugly, dust covered red now, but it's going back to that color. I'm not a fan of high impact colors on them, either. It bothers me, probably because in my head, I know it never happened that way. I also hate seeing hood scoops on them. I think it detracts from the hood, roof and grille lines. It sits in my stomach like a '50's car that has had all of the chrome parts painted and stainless deleted.

Anyway, the '68 318's were the more green-ish tirquoise Chrysler blue, which looks nice. '67 was orange.

I'd go with the gloss tirquoise/ '68 Chrysler corp blue on the entire engine and do the air cleaner wrinkle black.

This is an example of the color, when done up with factory components (albeit this is a Chris Craft boat, but it's a great example of how the color looks against factory gear.)

68NautLtBlue318.jpg

It's difficult to see on the screen, but it's very contrasting, even against UU1 light metallic blue or LL1/KK1 metallic teal/ tirquoise.

You would think that it has too much similarity, but it's very correct looking and the engine color has more brown in it than either UU1 or the KK1. It's very mellow and doesn't scream performance, but it looks as right as hammertone finish on an old file cabinet or swingline stapler.

With an aluminum pie tin that had black/ orange callouts, on a wrinkle black cleaner, the '68 Chrysler blue would look killer, IMO.

Here, this is a 440 in a UU1 '68 GTX, but you get the idea-

gtx6.jpg

This is just semi-gloss black, I think it would look better with wrinkle black, but if you could get a Super Commando tin with a 318 callout, that would be fun.

1968-plymouth-gtx-3.jpg

That blue looks off, but it could be a bad pic. The one on top looks a lot like what it would end up as.

I agree with you completely. And I love that color you got posted. I had a friend that kept trying to get me to put scoops on my 66 Sport Fury. Just didn't look right and would look way worse on a Charger. I can't wait to see you 68. Yeah, I like what you have posted. The colors look great. I have a set of valve covers from a 318 poly (all thats left of it) painted blue and from a 413 painted turquoise. I can see this working with the black air cleaner. I am thinking about going with the Mopar Performance "finned" aluminum valve covers and have them powder coated the turquoise with the fins left natural for the contrast.

'68 was the first year for the 340, so it wouldn't look wrong, in real life, nobody is going to scoff at the sight of a '68 Barracuda wearing anything under the hood, but some people may want to know where the Formula S trim went if you decked it out like a '68 340.

If you really wanted it to pass for a 318, you could go with no tin at all and just run a black cleaner. I like wrinkle finish on '60's cars. I also like your idea with color matching the Mopar Performance stuff, sans the fins.

I like the look of the Mopar Performance stuff, but it's still 2nd tier to DC or Cal Customs vintage stuff, for me.

The car will perform like a 340, depending on what running gear you've got, so I don't think anyone would give a 2nd glance. I think it would be more fun to leave the air cleaner wrinkle black with a yellow air filter maintenance sticker or have some kind of 318 callout, if you want something that looks year correct under the hood.

I'm doing all sorts of custom work in the Scamp, but the custom parts look era correct and I'm staying away from annodized parts, loose wires and lots of soft lines.

-
Back