color of seam sealer?does it matter?

-

fez440

Reaction score
Color shouldn't matter. It's usually top coated anyway. It is not bad idea to epoxy prime your seams before applying the sealer too. Factory didn't do this but if the sealer fails, you still have some protection.

I've used urethane seam sealers but not the product you noted. The difference appears to be mode of application. A brushable seam sealer would work just fine too and probably be less expensive than the 3M. Just stay away from 3M Fast 'n Firm which comes in a caulk tube. It is ancient tech and if/when it cures, tends to crack.

thank you for the reply 70duster440 also I have followed your build for a long time on your webpage. great work! inspiring :)

X2. It's not important. Just get a good quality seam sealer. Ones with shorter work time tend to hold up better to elements.

I bought 3m and its grey and its made where u can spray the paint of your choice over it, mine is gray also, I primed under it and scuffed it with 400 grit paper, and primed over it for paint

Seam sealer comes in different colors because in collision repair the technician needs to match the factory seam sealer in both color and applied appearance.

-
Back