COLORS THAT ELUDE ME

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I have sprayed many different colors & shades. Purples & whites are the only colors i havent had the chance to spray. I almost sprayed a dodge demon purple but the owner was talked out of it because he was told it was a very hard color to spray & blend in if a repair was needed. I cant imagine it being that bad. The only color that i have sprayed that you had to watch what you was doing was silver. You have to know what your doing when it comes to silver or you will get what they call tiger stripes. Hopefully i can add a purple or a white to my belt in the future.

I have done both FC7 and WW1. WW1 is really easy to paint but will play tricks on you as it's not a bright white. The Demon I recently painted FC7 was the first full car I had painted that color. Due to some unforseen events there were a few spots during putting the base on that I had to sand down and blend in, it actually blended very easy. Just make sure you do a drop coat on FC7 (or any metallic) to stay away from the tiger stripes.

Resized_20230807_163424.jpg

20230805_154425.jpg

IMG_20130909_164833_112-1.jpg

IMG_20130914_101013_776.jpg

IMG_20130914_101142_693.jpg

IMG_20130914_101142_693.jpg

IMG_20140119_141715_724.jpg

I have done both FC7 and WW1. WW1 is really easy to paint but will play tricks on you as it's not a bright white. The Demon I recently painted FC7 was the first full car I had painted that color. Due to some unforseen events there were a few spots during putting the base on that I had to sand down and blend in, it actually blended very easy. Just make sure you do a drop coat on FC7 (or any metallic) to stay away from the tiger stripes.

View attachment 1716126992

View attachment 1716126993

View attachment 1716126994

View attachment 1716126995

View attachment 1716126996

View attachment 1716126996

View attachment 1716126997

Yep i do a drop coat on every metallic color & nock on wood i never had a issue Nice job on the demon

I would say that A-4 silver has been the worst color I have painted. Super transparent, looks super goldish..copper ish going on and hard to tell when you have complete coverage. I could go the rest of my life and hope to never paint that again.

63157.jpeg

20201008_182713.jpg

I know that color. My buddies dad has a 67 Hemi Charger. It originally was that goldish color. When he restored it he painted it that original color but hated it...lol He wound up painting it 66 gold and it's a completely different color. If that's the original goldish on the one you did?

I know that color. My buddies dad has a 67 Hemi Charger. It originally was that goldish color. When he restored it he painted it that original color but hated it...lol He wound up painting it 66 gold and it's a completely different color. If that's the original goldish on the one you did?
Im not sure the original color of the charger. It had multiple color changes in the past & the fender tag was missing. The women that owns it told me what she wanted. Its been some time since i did that one i dont remember the color code or name. It was a light gray metallic.

Im not sure the original color of the charger. It had multiple color changes in the past & the fender tag was missing. The women that owns it told me what she wanted. Its been some time since i did that one i dont remember the color code or name. It was a light gray metallic.
I have always tried to explain to people the feeling I get after a car is painted, polished and ready for assembly...its like nothing else when you can stand back and look at it finished and know what it was before....I'm sure you get it. Such a feeling of accomplishment.

I have always tried to explain to people the feeling I get after a car is painted, polished and ready for assembly...its like nothing else when you can stand back and look at it finished and know what it was before....I'm sure you get it. Such a feeling of accomplishment.
yep you are very right I did a 73 duster for my cousin & her husband not to long ago. This car needed every thing. Quarters, trunk floor, trunk drop offs. inner & outer wheel houses, mini tubbed, tail light panel, inner & outer rockers, door hinges, doors, fenders, smoothed the engine bay interior floors, changed the fire wall from a a/c car to a non a/c, custom paint. Very rewarding to see the customers face when there car is done. All the stripes are painted on

WILLS DUSTER GOING HOME 3 10 23 004.JPG

WILLS DUSTER GOING HOME 3 10 23 001.JPG

I believe the toughest colors of nature still eludes even the finest paint mixers.

Robin's egg blue: This always comes out powder blue.

Blood Red: Never quite right.

Emerald green: again, it tends to drift to lime greens.

Just to name three.

The main reason I believe is the optics of size. Once you attempt these on a larger surface? Our eyes change on how we view and perceive.

Just something stupid I have noticed.

Ill tell ya what really helped me out is i bought a hand held light that mimics sun light. It helps me make sure i have full coverage on transparent colors. Another trick ive learned is the bright colors like bright reds, greens yellows ect is use a white base first. It helps the color pop.

Ill tell ya what really helped me out is i bought a hand held light that mimics sun light. It helps me make sure i have full coverage on transparent colors. Another trick ive learned is the bright colors like bright reds, greens yellows ect is use a white base first. It helps the color pop.
I can certainly see how that would help. As well as time and experience. I've thought about a paint booth. But the same reason I don't buy a Harley. I don't have the years of road experience. Just as I don't with a spray gun. The best I could get to is mediocrity at this point. Which is not what one wants on their car. Or me on the road with a heavy bike. Lol.

It also seems that a good painter is becoming more scares?

I believe the toughest colors of nature still eludes even the finest paint mixers.

Robin's egg blue: This always comes out powder blue.

Blood Red: Never quite right.

Emerald green: again, it tends to drift to lime greens.

Just to name three.

The main reason I believe is the optics of size. Once you attempt these on a larger surface? Our eyes change on how we view and perceive.

Just something stupid I have noticed.
I would agree that certain colors will play some tricks on your eyes after looking at them for so long during a paint job. I painted a 46 Ford truck that Seafoam green color and by the end of that my eyes were playing tricks on me.

-
Back