Colour of small Block

-
69 340's are torquoise.

Torquoise is the correct color for 69 340 in a Swinger. Bought one in 71 and I know 100% that nothing had been changed in the engine bay. Car was built in Hamtramac. (I think that is spelled wrong.) Early 69s could have had red engines left over from 68, & late 69s could have had early 70 orange engines installed but I have never seen any. Only torquoise.

funny this should come up, Sunday I was trying to find a can of Chrysler turquoise engine paint for something not car related. and almost every listing I saw had turquoise as the color of two barrel big blocks from '62 to '67 and 1969 340s.

My E63 383-4bbl is turquoise, too. So it's not just on the two barrel big blocks. FYI.

OK As I said earlier all of the ones I worked on were red but I know a guy who bought a '69 Barracuda new who still has a memory. He said his car came with a blue engine. Not turquoise as turquoise was on big blocks. It was blue..... but a lighter blue than the blue that showed up on the 71 and later small blocks. Since he often worked on his fathers big block cars he knows that there was a difference between the blue on his engine and the big block turquoise. He also added that after a windstorm dropped a tree on his three month old '69 he got a '70 and that engine was orange. He also said that he remembers seeing some '69 cars with red and some with blue. He added that he REALLY wished he still had either one of them with any color engine!!!! I recommended that he check out FORABODIESONLY too.

Funny you should bring this up, I once owned a 69 Dart GTS and the engine color was a blue, not green enough to be considered quite turquoise and not blue enough to be the later 73 blue. I owned a 68 GTS, 383, at the same time and it was clearly turquoise. The slight color difference could be the result of a small difference in paint mixing or the affect of heat and road grime on the paint. It`s hard to say what`s going on there with any certainty but it`s safe to say there`s a lot of variables there and you can`t discount anything.

-
Back