Column Shift Lever Install

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
My column shift lever fell out (in park) because there was no pin in it. Obviously, I need a new pin, but is there a certain way that it installs? I couldn't find an exploded diagram so I wasn't sure how it all goes back together.

Just basically wiggling it back in place so the pin will line back up does it, and you can get a pin from Ace Hardware and many others.

Really, it's so easy you won't believe it.

The lever won't go back to where it was before. Whatever this is, its keeping it from going in.

ABFA1951-59B2-4B74-8552-EEDE1C401B48_zpsjmfuelhc.jpg

That spring in there is the spring that returns the lever back after you pull it towards you to shift. You have to get the beveled end of the shift lever up under it and then wiggled in. Sometimes it's easy but on one car I couldn't get it in whatever I tried and ended up taking the column apart. I was looking to paint it anyway so it wasn't a big deal to me that time. Take the lever to Ace Hardware or True Value first to get the right size rolled pin.

See that plate where the red arrow starts?
Push that back in the direction of the arrow a little and put the lever in.
You might even turn the lever sideways to get it started.

I don't think I have ever had to push that plate back before, but whatever it takes.

Attachments

• lever.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 188
The metal piece where your red arrow starts is fixed. The yellow is a little plunger on top of the spring. It was very difficult to get a screw driver in there to pry the spring back and still have room for the lever. I finally got it, but it was very difficult. I just put a small zip tie through the hole and will gauge the size with a drill bit when I go shopping for a pin.

Thanks guys.

Keep in mind that pin will be a snug fit, as it needs to be so it doesn't work it's way back out.

Glad you got it in.

I have a huge channel lock knock off from Harbor Freight. I taped some rigid plastic tabs to the jaws and ran a bunch of electical tape around them. I used them to press the pin in starting wide and reducing the jaw width as I went because I don't have the tool for roll pins. I was careful and didn't even scuff my fresh paint and got the pin in perfect. Other people will have their own ways but just don't pound on it.

I cleaned up in my garage yesterday and by some miracle, I found the pin. Apparently it fell out while I was installing my new flaming river coupler. Install wasn't bad at all. I used a small screwdriver to line up everything and light taps with a hammer sent it home (eventually).

-
Back