column shift tube delete

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
OK, kind of an off-the-wall question here, hoping I can get someone to give me some good info. I've converted a column shift column into a floor-shift using collars I got on FABO.

I was rebuilding my steering column the other day. I realized that since I now had the floor-shift collars in place, I no longer need the shift tube. I already cut off the lever at the end of the tube but really, the tube is just taking up space and adding unnecessary weight.

The only thing that's holding me up is how to retain the steering shaft if I ditch the shift tube. My column has the single groove white bearing that mounts on the outside of the shift tube and inside the column jacket. It gets held in place with a wire clip through slots in the end of the column jacket.

There are a few different lower bearings out there for floor shifters - two bolt, three bolt yada yada. However, my column jacket has the slots, not the bolt holes.

So I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else run in to this particular dilemma? I thought I could just drill two holes for the two bolt bearing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

- Greg

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any light to shed on this subject?

YES I DO! LOL
when converting my column, my dad insisted we get rid of that tube...and when my dad gets set on it, we do it lol...anyways we removed the tube and my dad bought a peice of plastic (i want to say hard nylon, but im not 100% sure)...anyways, it was about a couple of inches thick...we measure the id of the column and the OD of the tube inside, and my dad took it to a buddy's lathe and within a few minutes he had a new bushing...came home, and it was such a snug fit that we didnt need a clip (trust me, we tried getting it out, and it aint comin without a battle)...also while we were are it, we cut the column so that only a couple of inches sticks out past the firewall...im glad we did this since it came in handy for header clearance...anyways here are some pics and let me know if you need more

first pic is before, second is a pic of the new bushing, and third is with the new bushing and cut column (you can see it doesnt stick out much past the firewall)

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

actually, just to add to that...we tried to drill into the nylon and use a screw to hold in the bushing, but it was pretty useless as the nylon just got torn up, and it was snug to begin with...i keep saying nylon, but its a hard type, not soft by any means...anyways hope this helps!

YES I DO! LOL
when converting my column, my dad insisted we get rid of that tube...and when my dad gets set on it, we do it lol...anyways we removed the tube and my dad bought a peice of plastic (i want to say hard nylon, but im not 100% sure)...anyways, it was about a couple of inches thick...we measure the id of the column and the OD of the tube inside, and my dad took it to a buddy's lathe and within a few minutes he had a new bushing...came home, and it was such a snug fit that we didnt need a clip (trust me, we tried getting it out, and it aint comin without a battle)...also while we were are it, we cut the column so that only a couple of inches sticks out past the firewall...im glad we did this since it came in handy for header clearance...anyways here are some pics and let me know if you need more

first pic is before, second is a pic of the new bushing, and third is with the new bushing and cut column (you can see it doesnt stick out much past the firewall)

Nice!!!

YES I DO! LOL

Good deal, sounds like a fine solution. Don't know too many machinists myself unfortunately but I imagine it would be cheaper than buying one of the OEM-type floor shift bearings. They're like $75-up depending where you get them.

I was thinking that perhaps I could use my existing bearing and get something to insert into the ID of the old one with a bore for the shaft to fit through, that way I can use the wire clip to keep it in place. Just thinking out loud.

I think the plastic you're referring to is called delrin. (sp?)

Good deal, sounds like a fine solution. Don't know too many machinists myself unfortunately but I imagine it would be cheaper than buying one of the OEM-type floor shift bearings. They're like $75-up depending where you get them.

I was thinking that perhaps I could use my existing bearing and get something to insert into the ID of the old one with a bore for the shaft to fit through, that way I can use the wire clip to keep it in place. Just thinking out loud.

I think the plastic you're referring to is called delrin. (sp?)

hey i asked my pops, and he said it was nylon...cost him a buck to buy the giant chunk (we had enough to make one for me and his dart, and probably a couple more...the delrin was more money)...as far as the maching goes, it doesnt take too long...i cant see it being too expensive, but then again my dad did it himself at our friends shop (my dad is no machinist though)...but either way, its an idea...good luck with it man!

-
Back