Column Shifter Help Needed

-

71GSSDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1971 Dodge Demon, column shift 727. I recently changed the steering column due to it getting hot while driving. 440 with fenderwell headers that 1 tube runs close to the steering shaft. The replacement column had no issues for a 100 mile trip. Last night, after about 30 miles, it started acting up. It now shift when steering, like the shift mechanism is hanging up or sticking on the steering shaft???? I made it home but as is it is almost undriveable.. It also gets hot now again like the old one. Anyone experience this before?

So, reading that it is possible the steering column tube isn't centered. That is what the 2 bolts and plate are for on the fire wall. The 3 bolt plate also. So maybe just needs an adjustment

Or is it possible that the plastic bushing on the end of the column melted? There are sheet metal looking screws that hold it in the engine bay end of column. The column shift tube runs through the middle of that bushing. Is it possible that the plastic melted all over hell, thus causing issues?

Or is it possible that the plastic bushing on the end of the column melted? There are sheet metal looking screws that hold it in the engine bay end of column. The column shift tube runs through the middle of that bushing. Is it possible that the plastic melted all over hell, thus causing issues?
It is possible. This column is out of a 1975 or 76 Duster. The bushing looked different than the column I took out. I will be able to look closer tonight or tomorrow.

-
Back