Column to Floor-shift ??'s

-

BuzzardBoys68

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I'm back with a couple more *stoopid* questions.

Current, original, set-up:
318, 904 column-shift, power steering

Converting to console/floor-shift. Have acquired console, shifter and linkage. What I'm wondering is what to do about neutral safety/back-up switch? Currently, it's the single wire from trans to the relay neutral safety, w/ back-up switch at the column. My "new" shifter doesn't have the back-up light switch on it. Should I (can I) use the three-prong trans switch, or leave the single-wire and get a shifter-mounted light switch? (they are tough to come by, unless you shell out $75 for a re-pop...)

Also, I'm keeping the power steering - I can keep the column and just acquire correct floor-shift upper column housings, right? There's no problem there, is there?

As always - thanks for the input!

Find a wiring diagram for a 70 or up (maybe 69 too?) a body and use it to wire your 3 wire switch into the existing wiring. The trans switch is not only the reverse light switch but also the neutral safety switch. IIRC there's a switch on the bottom of a 68 column that does some of those features. Might need to splice into that wiring to make it work.

69 and back floor shift collars are tough to get. I sell ones for 70 and up where the key is in the column, not the dash.

-
Back