comments on engine build and gear suggestions

-

qwk dust

Reaction score
We are in the process of trying to settle on our final plan for a '74 Duster that my nephew and I will be building. It will be just a fun car that will see strip duty and some cruise nights. It is a 318 car with a/c, p/s, p/b and a 904 trans. Here are the thoughts for the set up of the motor and we would really appreciate input on gear selection, converter selection and any comments on the proposed engine build.

As far as the motor is concerned we want to keep the 318. We are thinking .30 over with KB 167s, 302 swirl port heads (1.88/1.60 valves, port matched to intake, gasket matched to headers and the bowls cleaned up), an Edelbrock RPM air gap with a Holley Street Avenger 670 and probably something like the Comp XE275HL (231/237 .525 w/ 110 sep). We already have the heads and Hooker headers. Of course we plan on upgrading the springs, timing chain, oil and water pump. It is possible that we would run a small 100 shot of N20 on the motor as well so any comments there would be helpful as well. (yea I know about the KB167s but they seem to be our best choice if we keep the spray small)

As far as the trans is concerned we want to keep the 904. Trans go shift kit. Any suggestions on other improvements to the trans? We are changing the car from a column to floor shift and already have all the parts.

What rear end ratio do you all suggest? We want to keep the 8.25 and I already have a new posi unit to put in the open diff. I ended up with an Auburn unit because we got it for next to nothing brand new. We were thinking 3.91s but 4.10s are not out of the question. It will not be a real highway driven car. We have not decided on the tires but will likely go with some Weld Drag Stars or the like for wheels.

What stall do you think would be reasonable? 3K? 3200?

I know this is a bunch of questions but we would really like to know what you folks think about this set up and would really like any suggestions.

It sounds like you have the combo pretty well figured out. Watch your spring height / pressure and look for any guide interference with that cam.
As for the 904, have it rebuilt with good quality parts by someone who specializes in Mopar tranny's and it should be good to go.
There is not much difference between the 3.91's and the the 4'10's depending on your final choice of tires. If it's going to be street driven at all, you might want to go with the 3.91's.

Any further comments on the build? How about compression ratio estimates with zero decking the block and without?

with the port size of the 302s I'd use the Eddy Performer, otherwise the step from the larger Airgap ports to the smaller 302 ports will cause quit a disturbance in airflow - match porting only the 302s will not work. The XE268 cam would work better too - 302 heads won't flow enough up top for the 275.
Don't skimp on the TC - contact Ultimate Convertors.
Go have fun.

388Dart, I thought I could port match the 302s to the air gap fairly easy. Is there not enough room to open them up to meet the air gap intake?
We are trying to get a pretty strong reving motor and thought the XE275HL version would work pretty good for that. What do you think the rpm range on the 268 would be on this set up?
Thanks for the tip on the torque converter. I will check them out. I know that tc selection is very important and all the motor, weight and gear considerations go into it but any thoughts on an appropriate stall for this combo with the 3.91s and basically a stock body weight duster?

I have a 318 with similar set up, I run 360 heads ported and milled .035. The cam I have is erson .488/.510 it works great! My gears are 4.10 and the tc is a turbo action 3500. I don't see the problem with the air gap or the carb. I run high 12's in my dart. Have fun.

-
Back