Comp cam springs and break-in

-
Reaction score
So I been building a small block 360, and when I went through my heads I pulled the valves and lapped them. Decided to do a little bowl blending and port matching. I realized that some of my springs were different heights and I had a set of comp cams 901-16 springs laying around, so I thought why not if I change the cam in the future. Which already by the way has a rv type cam from edelbrock. 2177 I think. The heads are out of a 91 roller block, casting 477. I wondered if anyone wanted to give their input for break-in? I know it has heavier springs and people recommend taking out the center springs, but I wasn’t completely sure on if the 901’s are dual springs and not just a damper and if it should be removed? It doesn’t seem to do much but I was concerned on the pressure on the lobes. Comp dealers call it a single spring so I’m a little confused. Will it be okay to break it in without damper removal? The heads are on and I want to keep it that way.

The 901 is a single spring.
That’s what I said in my post. What I was looking for was an answer to basically, do people remove the damper inside for break in? That’s fine if you don’t know the answer. There was only vague information online and went down too many rabbit holes, hence looking for someone who knew here not an echo. I’m sure someone knows. Thanks

That’s what I said in my post. What I was looking for was an answer to basically, do people remove the damper inside for break in? That’s fine if you don’t know the answer. There was only vague information online and went down too many rabbit holes, hence looking for someone who knew here not an echo. I’m sure someone knows. Thanks
It's a damper. It's not a spring. It does not get removed. Clear enough?

It's a damper. It's not a spring. It does not get removed. Clear enough?
Yep, that is. How hard was that? You don’t have to get bent. I thought the community wanted to help people here. If you have little one liners, whats the point of waisting your time. It’s like driving and hour to the gym to lift a barbell once and then going home. I was just looking for some friendly advice. Thanks for the input.

Yep, that is. How hard was that? You don’t have to get bent. I thought the community wanted to help people here. If you have little one liners, whats the point of waisting your time. It’s like driving and hour to the gym to lift a barbell once and then going home. I was just looking for some friendly advice. Thanks for the input.
Nobody's "bent". A single spring is a single spring. I don't understand the hostility. You never said you didn't understand the definition of "single spring". It's not my fault you didn't.

Nobody's "bent". A single spring is a single spring. I don't understand the hostility. You never said you didn't understand the definition of "single spring". It's not my fault you didn't.
No hostility here partner. You should look into being more like 4spdragtop ,friendly and to the point. There was some confusion on my part and was looking for friendly clarity. Harder for some than others I guess. It’s not the definition that was the problem. It was that I didn’t know if the damper needed to be removed or not for break-in like most cam manufacturers recommend for flat tappet cams cause there wasn’t enough info online. Hopefully this post can help others too.

No hostility here partner. You should look into being more like 4spdragtop ,friendly and to the point. There was some confusion on my part and was looking for friendly clarity. Harder for some than others I guess. It’s not the definition that was the problem. It was that I didn’t know if the damper needed to be removed or not for break-in like most cam manufacturers recommend for flat tappet cams cause there wasn’t enough info online. Hopefully this post can help others too.
I don't know where you get I was unfriendly at all. That's your misconception. That was not my inference. All I did was say it was a single spring. That was neither friendly or unfriendly. For me to know your understanding of "what" a single spring is would have required me to read your mind over the internet. We all know that's impossible and it's also impossible that I know what you know or your terminology, so I gave you the answer in my terms, which is all that I know. Sorry you misconstrued my answer as "unfriendly" as it was not meant as such.

I don't know where you get I was unfriendly at all. That's your misconception. That was not my inference. All I did was say it was a single spring. That was neither friendly or unfriendly. For me to know your understanding of "what" a single spring is would have required me to read your mind over the internet. We all know that's impossible and it's also impossible that I know what you know or your terminology, so I gave you the answer in my terms, which is all that I know. Sorry you misconstrued my answer as "unfriendly" as it was not meant as such.

:poke:

The damper is a spring, but only provides a small amount of tension, so can be left in. It is a flat wound spring. Think of a leaf spring.

Just an addendum: The way it has been explained to me is that a damper spring in operation actually doesn’t provide any significant spring pressure. It is set up to provide tension and compression force against the spring (sometimes even sandwiched between an inner and outer spring) it is paired with. Most of the tension in it is used up when it’s doing it’s function of dampening harmonic waves in the valve spring(s). So yes, always leave dampers in, but especially even more so during break in. Not a good time if harmonics make the lifters and cam lose contact during break in.

Last edited:
The damper spring is sized to create friction between the inner & outer springs. It literally rubs against both springs to assist in damping any natural vibration that could occur in the springs.

As well as being counter wound in the opposite direction to maximize contact with the coils from installed to open height. I’m sure there’s a lot of tech involved in what parameters compound springs (true dual or triple) have to get dampers and the ones where the springs directly dampen one another, but I have t dug deep enough to see.

-
Back