comp cam xe-268h

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
ok i have a simple question. from a street build not a race build aspect. 10.0 to 1 10.25 to 1 will this cam have any lope at all in a 30 over 340 w/ j heads? not looking to race just have fun with it cruseing, but want some lope without the full blown aspects of a cam that comes in at 2500 to 3000 rpm. anybody running this combo?

I ran the XE 262 (just one size down) cam on a 360 in one of my trucks and had just the slightest bit of lope at 750 RPM. I had headers but no cross over pipe and one of my friends said that it sounded like a V8 speedboat at idle. I'm guessing that with 20 ci less displacement and 6 degrees more duration, you'll have just the lope you're looking for, but still decent low end torque and vacuum. With the XE series cam, I would recommend adjustable valve gear. Even with my itty-bitty cam, I had too much lifter pre-load, so I went with ductile iron adjustable rockers.

i agree with the mentioned above, but i would think you might want a hair lower compression ratio if its just a cruiser, just to make sure its happy on 91 or whatever you have there.

-Mike

I have the XE268H cam in a 10.6:1 360 with headers and an x-pipe exhaust, Cross Wind manifold and a 725 Demon Carb. There is no appreciable lope. The cam is a great street cam though. The engine pulls hard from 1500-6500 rpm and will pull cleanly down to 1000 rpm. I idel the motor at 800 rpm.

this is pretty much what i had expected, although i would like a little lope in it :-( .........

yeah that is what i am hopeing for a little lope. some sound is better than none at all!

DGC333's engine is similar spec. to the 360 I just built to substitute for my matching# 340s in my 69 Barracuda convert. I spun a bearing in the 340 and decided to put it on the shelf for safe keeping since I like to DRIVE! I also have a slant-6, (currently a tired 383) 69 notch-back Barracuda, with a 440 with the next cam up the chart (XE274H) ready to go in. I've had this cam reccomended to me by several pro builders as a great street/strip cam. I run 100 low-lead aviation gas in both cars.

yeah CudaNut i have been thinking about that cam too (XE274H). i wonder if it has any lope to it? the only drawback to it its the fact it will need a higher stall to run it.....humm??? welli am still a little away from the rebuild so i do have time to think about it some more.....is there anyone here running the xe274h with some feedback on it?

XE275HL in a low (9.0 to 1) compression, .030 over 340, 727 in a '72 Duster, 10" vacuum and with nice lope. Good cam with good street manners, with excellent low speed torque. These XE cams do lend themselves well to street duty, and they make good power too. You should be fine with your combo, as it is. But...I too agree..10.0 is a bit much for pump fuel. Much easier to adjust now..before you get it together. Good luck and give us a heads up as to what you end up doing and the results. Terry.

thanks for the info on the xe274h guys! it is looking like this may be the cam i want. the compression thing well...that dosen't bother me too much. i have 93 octane here. i have ran 11 to 1 before on it and currently run 9.80 to 1 in my gmc with no problems on 89 octane. timing it not retarded either.....

Hi all. Billy from down under again. I have installed an xe274 comps in a 360 and it idles quite good with a 2000 stall. If you have a relatively light car you can get away with a 2000 stall and 3.23 gears which I have. If the car is a "yank tank" as we call them here you will need a 2400 stall and maybe lower gears aswell. I wouldnt go any higher than 10:1 comp either.
Cheers Billy D...

hey billbo love the "yank tank"!!! :thumblef: i think the xe274 is going to be it. thanks for the input guys!!!!

-
Back