Comp cams pro plasma nitriding

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Hey all; was cruising through the latest Mopar action and saw this comp cams ad for a "Patended process". Supposed to increase surface hardness of the lobes and is being sold as a cure for premature hydraulic cam flat lobes. My first thought was "what about the lifters?". Wouldn't hardening the cam lobes cause the lifter faces to wear quicker? But the ad also claims the process increases surface lubricity by reducing friction.

This is available as an added service for all of comp cams flat tappet cams. No price is listed. Has anyone used this service? Does it work?

Not plugging for comp. Just curious!

NASCAR has been using coated parts for awhile if they didn't work I guareentee they wouldn't use it.I've used coated bearings in several of my own and cust comp eng's.but have yet to inspect any of them(yes they are still running)My belief I wouldn't use any non coated parts in any of the eng's I build

Cryogenically Treated? It's a process of freezing the part to about 300 degrees below zero for added tinsel strength. Engine builders for the "big money guys" in NASCAR, NHRA, IHRA etc. use this process. Not needed for the average street engine. Comp could also be using a less expensive version or just coating the parts. Just my opinion.

Cryo is great for wear parts like pistons, crankshafts, connecting rods, transmission gears and synchros. It works on a lot of other stuff too.

A lot of people are using it for street racing and track days or just general enthusiasts. Plus, its a relatively cheap process. The one thing you have to remember is cryogenic treatment is a full-bodied process rather than just a surface coating.

Take a look here...

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/racing.html

-
Back