Compatible 904 trans donors

-

jaywalkker

Reaction score
Have a '72 Demon /six that I'll eventually upgrade to one of the v8 magnums. I'm trying to figure out my options for transmission donors as I really, really prefer not to have to buy an off shelf TCI or Cope custom for a mild street engine.

Near as I can tell, the v8 904s up to like 1978 are all interchangeable, correct? I sometimes see 727s & 904s claimed to be from 80s era D100s, vans, or jeeps pop up on Craigslist and I wonder if they would be drop-in compatible? The really unfortunate issue for me is that junk yards near me don't have much stock prior to 90s, so I don't think I'll have much luck grabbing a cheapo trannie from like a mid-80s New Yorker or Diplomat etc if they're even compatible.

Thanks!

Early V8 904's are often listed for sale here at FABO. Either perform a search or place a wanted ad. 65'

Thanks. I thought I'd keep an eye out, but feel that it would be hard to find one someone is willing to ship (and if shipping is cost prohibitive).
If nothing else, Cope Racing does sell a basic 904 for ~$700 which is half price of aftermarket trannies I'm seeing.

I'm not a 904 guru but I believe they upgraded a few pieces in 73 904's so a 73 or newer are the ones to look for. If you switch to a 727 you'll also have to change the driveshaft length and keep in mind that a 727 will suck 20-25 more hp to spin it's heavier internals so for the average street hp setup a 904 is the way to go. In the late 70's lockup 904's started appearing. They are weaker due to the input shaft being drilled to channel oil to the lockup part of the converter and performance converters are usually more expensive. You can identify them by the front 1/2" of the input shaft being turned down smooth where-as a non-lockup has splines all the way to the end of the shaft

-
Back