Complete Motor with headers.

-

eds70dart

Reaction score
Can anyone of you Pros tell me from experience as this boy has never tried this and was wondering if it can be done to save time and energy. I removed my block from my 1970 Dart Swinger earlier this year, but had removed the rusty headers first before pulling the block out. What a pain in the @#&$ that was, and as I remember what a pain it was to install the headers years ago while the block was in the car. Now that I'm having the car repainted and restored I was wondering to save time and misery can I install the headers on the block and tighten them down, and then put the completed block in the engine compartment without complications. Just for info I'm getting new different ceramic ones to put on, not those rusty ones I took off. I'm seaching and getting info on the best ones to get later on for my car. Anyone for some suggestions. Just the block and bellhousing with headers attached are to be put in. I'll get the transmission put in from the underside afterwards. Can it be done without scratching the paint job if careful and with 3 people doing it. I have my sons helping me on this. Thanks ED

I personally would recommend headers from TTI (Link) http://www.ttiexhaust.com/
Yes they cost more but well worth it. They were a breeze to put in. I had gotten a few scratches on them by 'dry fitting' them (seeing where they will hit, if at all, any problem areas to encounter, if any......) than when actually putting them on. We placed them into the compartment then lowered the motor in..........they fit like a glove. No problems with the install on my 73 Duster......No regrets with the extra money spent. TTI are made for Mopars only!!
Just my 2¢ worth.
Greg......mtn_jake

I can't see installing the engine with headers installed... I HIGHLY doubt that is possible.

If you want to eliminate as much trouble installing the headers as possible, then get TTI headers. I actually replaced my side exhaust headmen header system with TTI and am very happy with my decision. All you need are the headers, I opted for the whole system. Also, get the ceramic coating in and our to decrease under hood temps considerably.

My only complaint is that they recommend you use other headers to break in the engine to avoid damage to the ceramic coating. That's just silly, they should be designed for engine break in... since I did use them to break in the engine (two engines) they are dull. And I paid extra for the polished ones...

Also, yes you can install the engine with the bellhousing but you will likely scratch the fire wall paint. ( but worth the scratches!)

I think about the only way to put the motor in with the headers attached would be if you bolted the motor complete with headers to the k-member then lowered the body onto the engine/k-member assy.

Chuck

It's a little extra work but if you want to cut down on scratches, tape furniture pads in the engine bay. If done properly they don't take up that much room and all you have to do to remove them is pull the tape on top and bottom. That's how we did it on high dollar cars (Ferrari, Cord, Packard, Avanti, Rolls Royce) in a shop I worked in a few years back. Don't think I would try to install an engine with the headers attached in an A body unless I did the K member drop as mentioned previously. Installing headers on an A body isn't really all that bad compared to some others like a '68 Cobra Jet Mustang. You really have to want them bad to go through all that. Be patient and gentle and it should go alright for you. When you feel frustrated, back off and have a cold one.

I'm thinking lay them in the engine compartment close to where they'll sit, hold them back with bungee cords and lower the engine into them ...

It's a little extra work but if you want to cut down on scratches, tape furniture pads in the engine bay.
I use large bubble wrap and rags to cover my headers. Works surprisingly well...

-
Back