COMPLETE WIRING HARNESS

-

hemidart69

Reaction score
Those who have put complete wiring harness's in their Dart please tell me what you used and problems you may of had. I have a 69 528 hemi electric fans and electric fuel pump. Every thing else is stock. Thanks for any help

My vote for aftermarket harness is ron francis. In my experience; great instructions, GXL wire, nice fuse box, and great tech support (only needed to call once). I got mine on sale and paid I think it was 300 or 350. They have lots of mopar applications (expanded recently). However, the thing is most all these aftermarket harnesses have some crossover into GM components. Not to worry because they are very minor. For example, the particular kit I bought had a GM style headlight switch and the connectors under the column were GM style plastic connectors. You can still use them just fine, but it will not look like the mopar ones. Almost ALL "kits" are like this with maybe the exception of "year one" that everyone talks about that I have no experience with (and never will because of the price I refuse to pay). Now...with ron francis you do get a couple of mopar goodies such as the distr. and ICM hookups specific to mopar but that's about it. Call them. They will talk to you about it. Other than that all these companies that make these things cut a length of wire that is roughly the length of a car from front to rear or from this point to that point and that's it. There can be differences in quality of components. Some people like the "comfort" of "direct factory replacement" (if that's truly what it is-again no experience here) and will pay dearly for it...but if you are not needing 100% authentic mopar trailer queen..in my opinion..not needed.

My vote for aftermarket harness is ron francis. In my experience; great instructions, GXL wire, nice fuse box, and great tech support (only needed to call once). I got mine on sale and paid I think it was 300 or 350. They have lots of mopar applications (expanded recently). However, the thing is most all these aftermarket harnesses have some crossover into GM components. Not to worry because they are very minor. For example, the particular kit I bought had a GM style headlight switch and the connectors under the column were GM style plastic connectors. You can still use them just fine, but it will not look like the mopar ones. Almost ALL "kits" are like this with maybe the exception of "year one" that everyone talks about that I have no experience with (and never will because of the price I refuse to pay). Now...with ron francis you do get a couple of mopar goodies such as the distr. and ICM hookups specific to mopar but that's about it. Call them. They will talk to you about it. Other than that all these companies that make these things cut a length of wire that is roughly the length of a car from front to rear or from this point to that point and that's it. There can be differences in quality of components. Some people like the "comfort" of "direct factory replacement" (if that's truly what it is-again no experience here) and will pay dearly for it...but if you are not needing 100% authentic mopar trailer queen..in my opinion..not needed.
Thanks you for the great reply. It was very helpful. I have been looking at harnesses. They make my head spin. Thanks agsin

I completely understand. I did it too and researched the hell out of it along with calling the companies who make them. Others will chime in...take it all in and make your best decision.

edit: I don't have a dart but to the companies that make these..(see my "universal kit" comment)...they don't look at it that way either. That was the concept that stood out to me the most..is how the EXACT make and year of your car isn't so important (to a degree) because it's basically a universal harness.

just one more thing...The value/cost ratio of these universal kits is 1.) you will have (at least with ron francis) a complete wiring diagram to keep with your car 2.) quality of wire (heat and abrasion resistance GXL/TXL) 3.) updated circuitry Fuse box 4.) instructions

Thanks you for the great reply. It was very helpful. I have been looking at harnesses. They make my head spin. Thanks agsin

Last edited:
I completely understand. I did it too and researched the hell out of it along with calling the companies who make them. Others will chime in...take it all in and make your best decision.

edit: I don't have a dart but to the companies that make these..(see my "universal kit" comment)...they don't look at it that way either. That was the concept that stood out to me the most..is how the EXACT make and year of your car isn't so important (to a degree) because it's basically a universal harness.

I used an EZ wiring harness. I think it was the 12 circuit "mini" kit. Its a mostly generic kit, but probably more GM friendly. I had to go source the Molex pins for the steering column connection and a few other spade connectors ( I want to say Packard 56 or something similar) for a few other connectors. All in all, it was a fairly simple install. The EZ wiring kit came with a "Mopar" wiring diagram, which was actually quite useful. I also referenced Haynes manual for its schematics. I did repurpose a few circuits, I guess that's a luxury with a generic kit.

I used an EZ wiring harness. I think it was the 12 circuit "mini" kit. Its a mostly generic kit, but probably more GM friendly. I had to go source the Molex pins for the steering column connection and a few other spade connectors ( I want to say Packard 56 or something similar) for a few other connectors. All in all, it was a fairly simple install. The EZ wiring kit came with a "Mopar" wiring diagram, which was actually quite useful. I also referenced Haynes manual for its schematics. I did repurpose a few circuits, I guess that's a luxury with a generic kit.

Same here , I cleaned,rebuilt, and replaced the orig. mopar hook ups and used all of them on the EZ harness . I bought it off of ebay about 9-10 yrs ago , so far so good. Sean at EZ helped me a bunch over the phone , don`t know if he`s still there , he`s a smart dude !!

-
Back