Completely Stock slant six Duster at the track!

-

bthieson

Reaction score
Howdy! Well, I've been wanting to get into racing for quite some time, and it's been planned to put a warmed 360 into my Duster, but before I made any mods, I really wanted to know what times it would run on the slant six. Well, here in Edmonton, Alberta on the weekend, we had the 10th anniversary Edmonton Mopar Club back to the track event at the local drag strip. It was a combination Show and Shine with use of the drag strip as well. Overall the event was absolutely fantastic.

I went two runs down the track in my 72 Duster with the 225. I'm around 270lbs, so the car was sitting pretty heavy. I ran a 20.88 at 66MPH, which is almost exactly what I thought I could run. I had some issues right off the line both times I ran, and think if I had a run without any issues I could probably run a high 19. The point is, it was the most fun I have ever had. I can't wait to get that small block in there and get back to it.

Anyone else ever run their slant six? Out of every single car there I was the slowest by about 2 seconds, but it didn't matter, the point was, I took it out.

i seen some slant sixes run at the ga. moparnats 10's and 11's them slants can be built to scream

Fastest my Duster ever went box stock was 19:85. My Valiant has gone 12:001@110 in street trim, but it's not very stock anymore.

i seen some slant sixes run at the ga. moparnats 10's and 11's them slants can be built to scream

Yeah, that's something I don't think I will ever see up here in Alberta. I would really like to see under the hood of one of those cars up close. I'm sure they make a very different sound too.

i know a couple of the stock sixes have hit 16's but that is some really good tuning and the motor's were in tip top shape. i know my wagon was probably 22's haha man that was slow8)

I saw you run - Light brown/beige Duster? If I recall, didn't you actually stall out on your second run? Either way, you had to have fun. Going down the track is a blast no matter what you're driving. There was a guy from Calgary that was in Red Deer on this past weekend at the CAMA August Heat Mopar show - he runs a pretty healthy 6 cylinder. It had a pretty nice rumble to it. He won the hard luck trophy last year - he got about 1/2 way to Red Deer and broke his crank. Glad you had fun and if you thought that was great then the 360 is going to be even better.
Daryl

I saw you run - Light brown/beige Duster? If I recall, didn't you actually stall out on your second run? Either way, you had to have fun. Going down the track is a blast no matter what you're driving. There was a guy from Calgary that was in Red Deer on this past weekend at the CAMA August Heat Mopar show - he runs a pretty healthy 6 cylinder. It had a pretty nice rumble to it. He won the hard luck trophy last year - he got about 1/2 way to Red Deer and broke his crank. Glad you had fun and if you thought that was great then the 360 is going to be even better.
Daryl

Yeah, that was me. It's gold, but definitely looks like a different color from a distance. Yeah, I stalled out, first time racing, I know better now. It was way too much fun. That's so sad that fella broke his crank, I guess you have to expect the unexpected with these cars. Yeah, the 360 is going to be a little different than the six to drive. I really can't wait. If only winter here wasn't so long!

You ought to keep the /6 it REALLY messes with people to smoke them and pop the hood and say " yup it a SLANT 6" I enjoy thrashing the Mustangs:cheers:
Thanks
Frank

I went to the local drags Friday for Flashback Friday..lots of nice B's with Hemi's and Wedges, some nice A's as well...there was a young fella there, just turned 16 with a gold Duster with a stock 360, dialed in at 14.6(?) and with his spot against the bigger cars was cleaning up. I've been considering a slant for my Dart but I hear you have to sink some real money in them to go fast.

Dave

Hey Dave
It depends on what you call fast and what you call real money. You can get into the 14s for less than $1500 and 12s for less than $2500 if you do most of your own wrench work. There are some slants out there in the 9s and 10s.:snakeman:
Frank

If your really interested in running your slant 6 go to
slantsix.org
they really know what is happening with a six! And they are as nice and helpful as the guys in our forums!

In the mean time here is something to drool about.
BlownSlantsix.jpg

BlownSlantsix.jpg

BlownSlantsix.jpg

-
Back