Compression ratio + hp?

-

drunkrat

Reaction score
Can anyone give a "shadetree mechanic" an estimate on cr and hp for my 318? Stock 318 block.Stock rods with new bearings. Kb 167 pistons. Howards big rattler cam, [email protected] lift 109ls. Edelbrock double roller chain, 360 "596" heads shaved .050- 62 cc, hughes 1110 valvesprings, 1.5 proform roller rockers. Edelbrock 340 single plane intake. Holley 650 dp manual choke.
Sorry i put it in my 90 dakota! Any quesstimates guys?

325-340 "maybe" with a decent port job on the heads and a GOOD valve job.

Mid/high 300's, you basically got the 400hp mag combo, minus the head work.

Cant get anymore shade tree than this!

Screenshot_20230716-005437_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230716-005418_Photos.jpg

64 yrs old. Stage 4 copd. Takes me 3 times as long as to do something with nothing, so went the cheap magazine build. Money for meds, not motors, sorry.

Yeah, thats my mower helping me pull the 2.5
So? Good for you! That's gettin it done. I just finished up an engine swap on my 75 F250 that took me five months because of my health issues, so I can completely sympathize. If somebody doesn't like your methods, screw um.

Ikr? Had to weld in motor mounts. Cant breathe that **** any longer. But its done. Ought to be ok with my 5 spd 8.25 355 gears huh?

Ikr? Had to weld in motor mounts. Cant breathe that **** any longer. But its done. Ought to be ok with my 5 spd 8.25 355 gears huh?
I would sure think so. Sounds like it'll be pretty snappy.

Appreciate your response ratrod! We need good people in this world nowadays! Thanks!

Appreciate your response ratrod! We need good people in this world nowadays! Thanks!
Keep us posted on how it turns out. Video of tire smoke or it didn't happen. LOL

Sounds like a good combo. I would think easily into the mid 300hp. Was there any porting done on the 596 heads? There’s a lot of meat left in the bowls on that casting, would really help to clean them up. Also did you plug the smog holes. The easiest way is a crack repair kit. There’s a proses of drilling and tapping a hole on either side of a crack in a block and then screwing in a cast plug. The plug will snap off when it gets tight. These plugs work great, just tap the smog hole and screw in the plug

Well, was gonna send a short vid, but i'm lost on how to do it. It says too large for server

Well, was gonna send a short vid, but i'm lost on how to do it. It says too large for server
The site cannot host videos. You need to host it on a third party account like youtube for instance and then post a link here.

Thanks for your reply ratrod. Have a vid on shorts youtube. But dont know how to share it here. Sorry, old and stoopid!

Thanks for your reply ratrod. Have a vid on shorts youtube. But dont know how to share it here. Sorry, old and stoopid!
Find where the link is and copy and paste it to here.

Might have to turn up volume to hear it. Thanks ratrod

Really cool of you to help out new members like you do! Awesome. Whether we are old or young , way to look out!

Yeah, still sporting steel wheels, even though i have new wheels.

-
Back