Compression Test on my 318, not good

-
I also think it's a sticky/non-seated ring thing. Rislone used to be a good additive in the old days and you could google unsticking rings, but I think the advice you've been given, to drive the car, is good advice. It appears that it's already working with the rise in compression, so keep at 'er. Hopefully you didn't use a chrome ring in your rebuild, since they're extremely fussy to get seated. Good luck with it.

ok, thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll take the advice of "just keep driving it" for the summer. Put some serious miles on it and see if things improve.

ok, thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll take the advice of "just keep driving it" for the summer. Put some serious miles on it and see if things improve.

Good idea! Put about 500 miles on it, (without it sitting a year) then at that point notice if the smoking goes away. Then if you want to do another comp test. Thew true test of the condition of the ring seal is that you should obtain 80-90 percent of your total compression in the first stroke, and top out in 3 strokes.
Words of wisdom from my Dad that took awhile to sink into my head, "SON IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!"

Mine smoked like a mosquito fogger for the first few weeks I had it running after sitting for about 6 years. Then, after about 3 months of driving it, no more smoke. Not saying yours will do that, but if the engine sat not running for 3 years, it's going to have some varnish in it that needs to work out...

-
Back