Compressor disconnected?

-

TF360

Reaction score
I disconnected and removed my factory 74 compressor. Back in car now. Can I leave the lines disconnected for a while and just put some tape over the holes so no dirt gets in there? When I start the car, will the compressor spit out (oil ect.) anything. Thanks for any help

A compressor is a pump and it needs refrigerant for lube. It has a clutch but if it engages you would damage the compressor it would be best to remove the belt.

If the system is open for very long, you should replace the dryer. Best to keep it all connected to keep dirt and humidity out.

With the pump connector unplugged, the clutch won't engage.

With the pump connector unplugged, the clutch won't engage.

I agree and although it wouldn’t engage anyway without pressure the pressure switch would prevent it.
But still the same I would remove the belt if the clutch
Has any static drag it will turn the pump since it’s doesn’t have any liquid or pressure. Just my 2 cents worth:lol:

I’m guessing RV2 but, just make sure it has oil in it. Disconnect and tape the clutch wire. Tape all hoses up, flush the system and replace dryer when rebuilding.

It should never engage without refrigerant in the system, that's what the low and high pressure switches are for. For peace of mind remove the belt, but keep the system closed if possible.

If it's 70 and up you need to leave the belts on to run the alternator-pretty obvious I guess. Sorry

Any time you open the A/C system, it's a good idea to replace the drier when you put it back together. Especially on a 50+ year old system.

-
Back