Computer Advice

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a used computer at the neighbor's yard sale. It has XP installed and Microsoft office, etc. Seems like a decent unit and it was only $100 :happy10: I got a monitor for Christmas, so I'm almost ready to go!!

Question is that it needs a "wireless card" for me to use the internet. Is there anything special I need to buy (brand) or anything? Also, how difficult is it to install and where does it go?

I do not think you need a wireless card. If you get highspeed internet (DSL,Cable...) you just plug the cable into your ethernet port on the back of the computer.

Some of the older model laptops do require a wireless card to receive signal from your wireless router. You can get one for about $20.00 from most electronics stores. D-link is one brand, about the size of a credit card, plugs into the port on the computer.

I do not think you need a wireless card. If you get highspeed internet (DSL,Cable...) you just plug the cable into your ethernet port on the back of the computer.

Thank you timbolia. I plan to use this in the garage and don't have cable there. Also, if I hook up direct I think I need another modem.....too many $$.

Some of the older model laptops do require a wireless card to receive signal from your wireless router. You can get one for about $20.00 from most electronics stores. D-link is one brand, about the size of a credit card, plugs into the port on the computer.

This is actually an older desktop model PC. I think it was from a school and refurbished? Only $20 8) and plugs in to a USB port? Thanks for that info. :-D

It will plug into a pci slot inside the computer. Also you have to have a wireless router already for this to work.

Inside the computer, huh :pale:. Crap, I'm not sure I can do that?

Yes thanks, I already have a wireless router in the house for my laptop. I took my laptop out to the garage to see if the router's range would be okay and it seems fine, but I'd like to just leave this other one out there.

If you are mechanically inclined at all (and I am sure you must be if you are here) it should be no problem. Just take the case off of the PC and there should be some empty slots near the back of the PC. The card will only go in one way. Just make sure everything is unplugged while you do this and you should be fine.

Just buy a usb wireless adapter and plug into any usb port done deal.
I got a belkin wireless G plus MIMO at wally world for $50, just make sure you have high speed 2.0 usb or they run slow

If you look at this pic of the card the antennea will stick out the back of the PC, there should be some blank plates on the back of the PC now. This card will take one of their places.

5925564_sb.jpg

Unasked for advice, but make sure your network (the home router) is secure.
I'd also recommend (strongly) you look into buying Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010 and installing it; puts McAfee and Norton to shame.

This is similar to mine it can be moved around to best pickup point whereas the pci slot one can't

wireless.jpg

Any of the 3 on this page should work. Same price though, expected cheaper at Frys (they just closed the one close to me by LAX, and I will not drive to beverly hills). You might ask when you get there there could be a cheaper one at the store.

its purty ez. i dun et. post a wanted on craigslist. bet you can get one for ten bucks.

It's a breeze 6pk! Once you get it give me a call and I'll walk you right through it. As others have said, make sure you secure your network. Even if you feel that you nothing important on your network, there are people who will use your wireless connection for nefarious purposes.

Use at least WPA-PSK. Don't bother with WEP, WEP can be cracked by any industrious teenager. You can also "layer" your defenses. If you're interested, I'll bore you to death about it. :)

Unasked for advice, but make sure your network (the home router) is secure.
I'd also recommend (strongly) you look into buying Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010 and installing it; puts McAfee and Norton to shame.

Yes, home router is secure now as far as I know. For quite awhile, I used to see cars and trucks parked in front of my house :scratch:. It took me a little while to figure out what they were doing #-o. Thanks for your input.

This is similar to mine it can be moved around to best pickup point whereas the pci slot one can't

Bruce, I like the looks of that one and I don't have to open the "scary" looking box to set it up. Thank you. 8)

its purty ez. i dun et. post a wanted on craigslist. bet you can get one for ten bucks.

DD.....great idea there. I love it :-D "purty ez" and inexpensive fits the bill for me!!

just get a USb wireless and plug it into a USB port on the back and install it, run program first, it will tell you when to plug in the hardware

It's a breeze 6pk! Once you get it give me a call and I'll walk you right through it. As others have said, make sure you secure your network. Even if you feel that you nothing important on your network, there are people who will use your wireless connection for nefarious purposes.

Use at least WPA-PSK. Don't bother with WEP, WEP can be cracked by any industrious teenager. You can also "layer" your defenses. If you're interested, I'll bore you to death about it. :)

Breeze for you is difficult for me LOL, but I am eager to learn :-D. Thank you for your help ramcharger and I will call you if I can't figure it out!!

I have absolutely "NO" clue about your last paragragh re WPA WEP, etc. but I now know who to ask. :) Thank you bro :thumbup:

just get a USb wireless and plug it into a USB port on the back and install it, run program first, it will tell you when to plug in the hardware

I have open USB ports on the back of the tower. I was hoping that I could use an open port and not open up the "scary box" :toothy10: Thank you Poppabear!!

I have open USB ports on the back of the tower. I was hoping that I could use an open port and not open up the "scary box" :toothy10: Thank you Poppabear!!

Chances are that the motherboard USB (Universal Serial Bus) is 2.0 capable if it already has XP and MS office loaded on it. Trust me, $100 wouldn't even buy the software, you got a great deal. I have a computer in the garage too but I ran a buried cable. Not because my wireless wouldn't work but I like having immediate access to my dog pictures, lol. :grommit:

Just an update FYI.......I have purchased 2 different USB port adapters and spent a couple hours crawling under the desk :???: on the phone w/ the Netgear tech support. I may have an issue w/ the distance of the wireless router, but have not had a chance to check on this.

Thanks for the help all and a special shout-out to ramcharger for his advice on moving the router which I'll try in the next couple of days. :cheers:

To be continued..........

-
Back