Concerns About my new 64 Barracuda

-

texmixman

Reaction score
I purchased a 64 Barracuda this weekend. Prior to leaving with it I did verify the VIN using a decoder to confirm it was an original 1964 V8.

I have tried all available fender tag decoders that I could find in this forum and I am coming up with nothing that matches for the body, trm and paint codes. I am wondering if this fender tag is from something completely different. If someone could help decode this I would appreciate it. Here is what I have (I have included spaces so you can see the exact letter the numbers appear under)

ABCDE F G H IJKL M NOPQRS T UVWXYZ
5 1 5 3 8

Should read - spaces were messed up after it posted
A5
F1
H5
M3
T8

SO Number BDY TRM PNT
0615 3065 V49 P5R BBP

I removed the tag to clean it and view it from behind to verify the numbers so they are accurately listed above.

Any assistance would be appreciated. If you have a link that shows this info and I have just failed to find it please just post that and I can do the leg work myself.

Well, the A5 doesn't make sense, there should be something under the B also. The AB combo are the engine size. 30 would be regular 273, 31 would be 4 bbl 273.
F1 should be power brakes
H5, not sure. The decoder I'm looking at says power windows, but I'm sure that wasn't an option.
M3, don't know
T8 should be tach

0615= Made June 15th
3065= Sequence number (3065th built) (this could be the sequence number for Valiants and Barracudas, I'm not sure)
V49= Body Style
P5R= Premium front bucket seats covered in red vinyl
BBP= Black Top and Bottom with red interior paint

Here's the site I found it on. http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-osterling65fendertag.html
I found one a long time ago when I got mine decoded that was easier and better, but I don't remember it. I'll post it if I find it.

Thanks for the help. This site was for 1965 and mine is a 64. It is safe to assume that most of this info was consistent across both years.

As for the there only being one letter under the AB section, I am wondering if they added the additional digit in 65.

They should be the same for 64 and 65, since a 64 Barracuda is actually a 64 1/2, and is more like a '65 Valiant than a '64. You may be right about the engine code, but there were other "holes" in that decoder. I'll keep trying to find the one I used, I remember it being a lot more user friendly.

Thanks for any help you can give. This was more info than I was able to locate so I am already further down the road.

I recently learned while doing an engine swap on this car that it is a numbers matching car. The intake and block are original. Looks like I will be holding on to this 273 motor and will look to rebuild it over time.

-
Back