condensation chamber... if thats what its called

-

lebdog74

Reaction score
i am slowly trying to fix up my 1974 plymouth duster. what is the black canister looking thing on the passenger side of my engine compartment. someone told me it is some type of condensation chamber. sorry for my lack of knowledge and any help would b appreciated. again what is it and do i need it cause i see some w/out them. thanks
:read2:

It's charcol canister that absorbs fumes from the tank and carb and then adds it back to the engine for burning. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but if you just vent to the atmosphere you can get a gassy smell on hot days.

If you're staying stock, I'd say leave it.

It's carbon canister that absorbs fumes from the tank and carb and then adds it back to the engine for burning. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but if you just vent to the atmosphere you can get a gassy smell on hot days.

If you're staying stock, I'd say leave it.
thanks. does it ever need changed or anything. and does it affect performance. again sorry 4 the ignorance

Not a problem and don't worry about not knowing something. No one knows it all.

Eventually the charcol in the canister will become saturated and no longer do it's it's job as well, but there is no test to determine whether one is bad or not as far as I know. They do not affect performance except from a weight and looks standpoint. If you go with an aftermarket carb, it wont have the hookups for it either.

Edit: The correct name for it is "Evaporative Emissons Canister" IIRC and in case you were curious.

i have the same issue!
How do you kill it at the tank?

-
Back