Cone or clutch??? How to identify?

-
A cone type unit has only 2 "windows" to look inside it and you can see some large springs and it also only has 1 cross pin with 2 spider gears 180* apart. A clutch type has 8 window's and no springs at all and 4 cross pins and 4 spider gears every 90* apart (much heavier duty). I attached a couple pics of cutaways of each. Sorry I don't have any pics of assembled units but if you look in the parts for sale section SGBarracuda has a picture of a clutch type that he has for sale.

Top picture is a clutch type. Bottom pic is the cone type

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 588
  • suregrip2.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 565
Beautiful. Thanks for the quick response
Should of known that one by now!

Another, clutch looks like a constant diameter cylinder. Cones have some step downs when looking at them.

The bolts holding the SG together is also another easy one.
Cone has the bolts holding the two halves together on same side as ring gear bolts (on a smaller circle), clutch they are on the other side of the carrier.

Thanks all. Was just told it was out of van and is uncracked .
So for 150 obo I guess I'll just take it and find out!!

If its an 8.75 rearend, the center section will bolt into any 8.75 rear regardless if the center section is a 741,742,489

That I am aware of thanks just wondering if they used I case more often then another like 489 more often then a 721 or which ever??!

The old van was a couple years to new. Ended up being a 9 1/4
Still peg leggin!!

The old van was a couple years to new. Ended up being a 9 1/4
Still peg leggin!!

Bummer!

Here's some spotters and misc. info

Clutch types were last used in early 69 (the book says 68 was the last yr. for a clutch SG but some left overs were used up in early 69) and were used in 741 and 742 cases. In 69 the 489 came out and it only used a cone type SG. The 742 case went away (the 489 replaced it) but the 741 stayed and from then it used a cone type like the 489. Not saying they didn't ever use a 741 in a truck or van but I've never seen one. I've only seen 741's in cars. Unless I can get it real cheap I shy away from cone types due to them not being rebuildable and parts are hard to find. Some say their rebuildable but all you can really do is machine down the cone ends to get some more life from it, if the case isn't all chewed up which I have seen. I have also saw some that had the spider gear shaft hole in the case all wollered out and nearly everything is destroyed. Got one laying in the shed like that now.

Bummer!

Here's some spotters and misc. info

Clutch types were last used in early 69 (the book says 68 was the last yr. for a clutch SG but some left overs were used up in early 69) and were used in 741 and 742 cases. In 69 the 489 came out and it only used a cone type SG. The 742 case went away (the 489 replaced it) but the 741 stayed and from then it used a cone type like the 489. Not saying they didn't ever use a 741 in a truck or van but I've never seen one. I've only seen 741's in cars. Unless I can get it real cheap I shy away from cone types due to them not being rebuildable and parts are hard to find. Some say their rebuildable but all you can really do is machine down the cone ends to get some more life from it, if the case isn't all chewed up which I have seen. I have also saw some that had the spider gear shaft hole in the case all wollered out and nearly everything is destroyed. Got one laying in the shed like that now.

I just pulled a 3.55 741 out of a Dodge truck. Interesting, I didn't realize that was so uncommon.

I just pulled a 3.55 741 out of a Dodge truck. Interesting, I didn't realize that was so uncommon.

I haven't seen a bunch of them so maybe it was the luck of the draw for me. The only 741 case I saw in a truck was /6 powered. That truck was a strange combo with it's /6 power, granny 4 spd, and a 741 case 8-3/4 in a 1/2 ton truck.

-
Back