cone posi. torq values

-

cudaman51

Reaction score
hi i am the proud owner of three cone stile posi units. my question is. i took one apart debured every thing that needed it and inspected it.the cones seats were a little scuffed up but not to bad. there was still plenty of clearence on the flat side. reasembeled and atached a torq wrench to an axel. 120 ft lbs. is that a good number.is it worth wile to change the springs and were would you geg them.do you still use posi oil aditive in this type.and last what are these things worth. If i sell a punkin with one in i don,t want to screw anyone.any help would be appreciated. thanks

The factory service manual doesn't give a torque value for the holding power of it. It just says it should hold good enough that you should be able to only barely be able to turn one wheel by hand. That's kinda broad if you ask me but that's what they say. I have only done one cone type unit and I couldn't find new springs so I put a shim (about .030 thick if I remember right) behind them and it worked great. As far as value goes it seems to vary by what I can only see as luck of the seller. Some guys get $200-300 just for a cone type SG and others only get $250 for a complete 3rd member with a SG. My personal feelings is if you've gone through it and are confident it's in good shape and it's a complete 3rd member it should be worth $400~$500 depending on the case (741 less, 489 and 742 more), gear ratio (tall gears don't sell as high as 3.55's or lower), and age of parts (bearings, gears, etc.).

-
Back