Confirming 302 Head Exhaust Valve Rotator Removal Parts

-

Gewaltakt

Reaction score
Hello All,
My first post here despite having been a lurker for years. Kudos to everyone for the advice, knowledge, understanding you offer here. Your words of wisdom reach many more people (lurkers) than you are aware of, I'm sure. My question: My 68 Barracuda 318 904 8-3/4 needed a new cylinder head so I'm replacing them both with a pair of 302 heads from a 1987 B250 van. The 302 heads have rotators on the exhaust valves and I'd like to replace them with standard retainers. However, the lock grooves on the exhaust valves are a smidge lower than they are on the intake valves so if I'm using the same retainers and springs on both the intake and exhaust valves, that will cause a lower spring installed height on the exhaust valves (corrrect?). On a couple threads you experts have said not to worry about that but someone also said the exhaust valves can be replaced with ones that have grooves that match the intake valves. The machine shop says the valves are all in good shape so I can reuse them if the difference in installed height is ok.
I have new Comp Cams springs, retainers, locks for the cam I plan to install (Summit part CCA-K20-221-3) 212/218 @.050 .447/.455 LSA 110.
Many thanks ahead of time for your assistance.

When I have eliminated the rotators on Mopar heads, I swap all the associated parts to the Non-rotator pieces.
Valves/retainers/locks.

The valves and locks for the non-rotator applications are 4 groove instead of 2.

You may be able to reuse the valves and locks if the installed height is sufficient.

When I have eliminated the rotators on Mopar heads, I swap all the associated parts to the Non-rotator pieces.
Valves/retainers/locks.

The valves and locks for the non-rotator applications are 4 groove instead of 2.

You may be able to reuse the valves and locks if the installed height is sufficient.
Aha, so that explains why the locks that came with my camshaft were 4 groove (all the valves in my 302 heads are 2 groove). If I get exhaust valves for 1970s 318 heads then will that work? I believe rotators didn't come out until later. Anyone have a recommended source for such exhaust valves?

Would think the size may be the same. The reason the rotators are there is because the heads are from a truck engine. My '78 B 100 van had a stage 3 360 truck engine , which was a 2-barrel regular leaded gas engine.

For anyone else who may be seeking 318 exhaust valves to replace the rotator keeper valves in 302 heads, here's some info that should help: The following three part numbers are all the same valve. They are easily found with an online search.

Qualcast 10-1329
SBI 01329
Melling V1329

Their specs are:

5.002 Length
4 Groove Locks
Chrome Stem
.3715 Stem Dia (3/8)
1.500 Head Dia

I believe Enginetech V1589 may also be the same valve

Camp Cams part numbers for hardened 7* 3/8 valve locks:

602-16 Two Groove (16 pairs)