confusing water intrusion problem

-

perko

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm trying to track down a water intrusion problem. As you've probably seen on the news its typhooning here on the central California coast.

I've got a 73 duster that's always had leaking problems, but I've just covered it in a tarp and its been mostly ok since I don't care about the paint. But over the last few months every time I take the tarp off there's a cup of water in each floor plan and a ton of condensation on the windows and in the trunk.

What gives? The tarp covers about 10 inches past the base of the back window and 6-8 inches past the base of the front window about an inch past the antenna. All the side windows are covered about ten in inches past the base. The tarp is held down by bungies but is secure. The tarp is a plastic camping deal. There's some places in the firewall it could be coming in i guess, its pretty well covered though. Any specific ideas? thanks.

Vent "stacks" in the cowl are VERY susceptible to rust through.

Condensation on the glass and in the trunk sure isn't from wiper pivots or the cowl.
Try rolling a windows down an inch on each side for a couple of days and see if it still does it.

Water leaks are elusive. Very elusive. Water can run (wick) uphill. A good flood of water can breach what you think is a good seal. I have seen it run up and over pinch welds with new gaskets.
You are going to have to find the leak yourself. Lay inside the car with plenty of light and flood it.
There are no magic pills.

If you do find a leak, don't assume it is the only leak. Good luck.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could garage everything. That is what these old cars need.

Vent "stacks" in the cowl are VERY susceptible to rust through.
In addition to this wiper pivot seals or behind windshield trim

both the wiper pivots and the cowell are totally covered with a thick plastic tarp. I should have put a picture up before I uncovered it. Its supposed to rain some more later this week so I can put one up then i guess.

Water leaks are elusive. Very elusive. Water can run (wick) uphill. A good flood of water can breach what you think is a good seal. I have seen it run up and over pinch welds with new gaskets.
You are going to have to find the leak yourself. Lay inside the car with plenty of light and flood it.
There are no magic pills.

If you do find a leak, don't assume it is the only leak. Good luck.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could garage everything. That is what these old cars need.

Yeah... I do a lot of water intrusion stuff on residential and commercial properties, and this is exactly what I tell my clients. I guess i was just looking for an easy answer. Maybe I just need a bigger tarp. Or i could just stop caring.

-
Back