Conical seat lugs on drag car

-

gumper

Reaction score
Going to buy new wheels to accommodate the skinny drag fronts and wider rear slicks on my Duster. I like the Jegs SSR Spike wheels since they're good looking and inexpensive. Yeah I know they are cheap cast wheels, but a few pounds on a bracket car won't kill me. The mental problem I have is worrying about the wheels having conical seats holding up to transbrake launches. I've been using the factory style steel wheels for years with no problem, but since they're steel it may not be an issue. I will also be using 1/2" studs all around. Also thought I may be able to use the conical shank nuts that have the extra threads on the bottom, but if the nuts are tight in the center of the hole I don't see where the shank does any good. Do you think an 11.0 car will tear up those Jegs wheels? I find it hard to spend an extra grand for wheels.

Going to buy new wheels to accommodate the skinny drag fronts and wider rear slicks on my Duster. I like the Jegs SSR Spike wheels since they're good looking and inexpensive. Yeah I know they are cheap cast wheels, but a few pounds on a bracket car won't kill me. The mental problem I have is worrying about the wheels having conical seats holding up to transbrake launches. I've been using the factory style steel wheels for years with no problem, but since they're steel it may not be an issue. I will also be using 1/2" studs all around. Also thought I may be able to use the conical shank nuts that have the extra threads on the bottom, but if the nuts are tight in the center of the hole I don't see where the shank does any good. Do you think an 11.0 car will tear up those Jegs wheels? I find it hard to spend an extra grand for wheels.
why not try open end conical seat lugnuts ?

That's what I have now with ARP studs. Some say the conical seats bend the studs because there's no shank in the wheel to help stabilize things.

Quickest I have been with acorn nuts was 12.50 on slicks but that was only a 7/16 stock stud and did just fine. I now have that style wheel for my Duster and it SHOULD be a 10.50 car w/long ARP 1/2 studs so we shall see. No transbrake though.

-
Back