Connecting rod, this one forged or not?

-
if the 1 rod is a lighter 273/early 318 rod - it will not have the early 340 forging number=2899496, and it would have stuck out like a sore thumb at the balancing! If all 8 rods have the same forging number and balanced it is all good! If changing the 1 rod helps U sleep a new rod can be matched balanced to the others no sweat, the whole assembly does not need to be rebalanced

If the shop really did balance it, EVERY rod would have been weighed for both ends and adjusted accordingly. If a rod weighed a bunch less because it was a 273 piece, that would have shown up. Once you have the bob weight, you strap that to the crank and spin it up.

If the shop only weighed one rod and it was a heavier one, replace it with a rod of same big/small end weight and be done with it. The entire assembly does not have to be re-balanced changing one rod. Look on the balance card you should have received, the weights should be logged there.

I'd pull one of the larger rod and piston, weigh it, compare total weight to the skinny rod assembly. That will tell you what you need to know regarding the rod weight.

Last edited:
All right got home pulled the rod and piston, it does have the correct part number, it does not stand out as clear as the other rods but shining a flashlight at it from an angle I could see the numbers. Side by side with another rod, it looks to be the same dimensions, width wise and thickness the angle of the photo may be the reason it looks thinner, I put it back in, I'll run it.

20171127_173030.jpg

-
Back