Connecting steering column to PS box

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a PS box out of my 65 Dart wagon rebuilt by Steer and Gear and a early 80’s tilt column out of a J/M body that I’ll be installing in my 65 wagon. To connect the 2 I know I can use 2 U Joints and a double D shaft. Wondering if a UJoint at the steering column and a stock PS steering coupler at the box would be better? Thoughts/comments.

My thoughts:
Either one should work fine, however- a coupler at the box will allow for some back and forth movement during use; you would need some sort of support brace and bearing on your intermediate shaft (coupling/adapter shaft between column and box) to keep things stable.
With two u-joints, I would think that it would be more solidly located; but with the later model column with the collapsible shaft, use may apply excessive force to the plastic shear pins causing them to shear, and allowing slop to be introduced there... So a support on the intermediate shaft would probably be desirable in this case, too. But, not a lot of room on an early A body for all that...
1697727806271.png

One way around this would be to use a rigid coupler at the box or the column,
1697728738643.png

and using just one u-joint or the pot coupler and eliminating any potential slop in that manner. Kind of like making your own adapter similar to the ones sold to adapt power columns to manual boxes, except the spline arrangement is reversed.
As you well know, space is very limited on the driver's side of early A bodies, so your arrangement of where the coupler and joint go (joint on column, or joint on box) is going to be whichever gives you the most room.

-
Back