Considering 70 Duster

-

abevigodasson

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been visiting the site for quite a while as a guest, seeing some great stories and getting some good second-hand advice. Now, I'm hoping for some good first-hand advice!

While in high school and college I worked at a body shop that specialized in classic car restoration. Most of my experience is with body work.

That being said, I'm looking at picking up my first A-body. I found a local car - 1970 Plymouth Duster. It's got a 340 auto, orange on black, in decent shape.

I went and saw the car today. I did a relatively thorough inspection and didn't see any bad rust or rot. There is some pretty low skill filler work - but that is the type of stuff I love repairing.

They're asking $5500 for the car. Engine runs strong, they claim it's can be a daily driver.

Here is their description:

1970 Plymouth Duster with a 340 motor, Orange with Black interior, New Interstate Battery, Polished Old style mags- Great running car, Body is in driver quality condition, it is not a perfect car, it does need some TLC, Lift off hood.Car does have scratches and some dings, windshield has a crack, Trunk is good condition along with rockers, New wheel cylinders, No overheating problems, bucket seats with center shifter,power steering, recently serviced drum brakes all around, Always starts. Stop in and see this car in person for a test drive.

With the limited info you have from me and their description - what do you think?

Thanks!

vxj5mc.jpg

WELCOME !! is it a real H code 340 ?

you may have a mud shark on your hands. i would be weary of what is under that paint

That driver's 1/4 panel looks like it's filled up pretty good.

Does the VIN number indicate it's a real 340 car? ( H ) and does it have a fender tag? If that is a real 340 car, I would say it's worth all of the asking price.

In my opinion if it looks good to you and runs strong, take a look at the rear shackle mounts, the torsion bar mounts and the floor. If they are all solid $5500 sounds like a lot of fun for the money. A 340 car would start VS and have an H for the 5th letter. C means it started life as a 6 but that doesn't matter at that price point. You might want to look at the rear end to see if it has a backing plate or not. If no backing plate (removeable carrier bolts holding the front on the differential) 8 3/4 rear is a huge plus.

There was a thread discussing this very car on here in the last month or so. it was sold and is being flipped. Try searching here and see if you can find it. I will look also.

Also, welcome to the site...:D.

if thats the vin. you posted, it's not a real 340 car. The fifth digit would need to be H. That is a slant six car originally.

Man please don't buy this car. It already has a bad rep and it's full of body filler. Keep looking! I'm begging you! lol

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.

Am I crazy to think I'll find something that is in good enough shape to use as a daily, but might have some cosmetic - interior, paint, trim, etc. issues that I don't mind working on - for $4-5000?

I've got a pretty wide range of interests, so I'm not really stuck on one or a few specific cars.

I tried, unsucessfully, to find the other thread. I do rembember from the rear photo that was posted that it had a 7 1/4 rear in it. You seem willing to do some metal work so all i can say is, if it were me, i'd try to find a better example to buy. Real 340 cars that need that kind of work are available at a reasonable cost if your willing to be patient and continue shopping.

Thanks for looking - I tried to find it as well but came up empty-handed.

I think, as you and others suggested, that this is probably a "pass." I'd rather get something that's better off rather than jump on something because of the excitement to get it home.

I tried, unsucessfully, to find the other thread. I do rembember from the rear photo that was posted that it had a 7 1/4 rear in it. You seem willing to do some metal work so all i can say is, if it were me, i'd try to find a better example to buy. Real 340 cars that need that kind of work are available at a reasonable cost if your willing to be patient and continue shopping.

Tada:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=197360&highlight=duster+michigan

ad for same:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ctd/3127055493.html

damn can even see a wrinkle on the inner fender, driverside!

Thanks for looking - I tried to find it as well but came up empty-handed.

I think, as you and others suggested, that this is probably a "pass." I'd rather get something that's better off rather than jump on something because of the excitement to get it home.

I think you can deinf. find something better then that!

Especially if you hang around on this forum, the members have alot of insight and can come up with some good deals for members!

Keep the faith.

Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy this site. Great people and information!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• Mem12PassFrt3qtr.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 149
Wow the body sure is wavy........why even waste money on paint.

Attachments

• March Demon 021.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 134
Welcome,good luck on the search.Contact 340 plot,he fall across nice 340 cars,all the time.

-
Back