Considering Edelbrock 1400

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 318 is running pretty good. ...a little funky sometimes though.
I have a Summit rebuilt Thermoquad on it right now, but I have a 600 CFM Edelbrock 1400 in really nice shape I might want to try...I can always go back to the Thermoquad. ...
I'm using a stock iron intake - what adapter would I need to bolt it on?

Also, what do you guys think of an Edelbrock 1400 on my mildly warmed over 318?
600 CFM enough?

20160813_083937.jpg

Jeff

Put that carb on, turn the a/f screws out 1.5 turns, and burn rubber all the way down the street. :)
Thats a great choice for a 318.

you'll need this one.... and if your carb butterflies hit your intake, put your TQ thick gasket underneath this and see if that gives you the clearance you need.
Edelbrock 2732 Spread Bore to Square Bore Carburetor Manifold Adapter Plate G55

Your TQ will outperform that eddy ANY day of the week IF you tune it right.
P.S. my 770 street avenger is out performing the eddy I had on mine easily

Thanks guys....for 10 bucks, I went ahead and ordered the adapter. ...I'll give the Edelbrock a shot.....

Jeff

you'll need this one.... and if your carb butterflies hit your intake, put your TQ thick gasket underneath this and see if that gives you the clearance you need.
Edelbrock 2732 Spread Bore to Square Bore Carburetor Manifold Adapter Plate G55

Your TQ will outperform that eddy ANY day of the week IF you tune it right.
P.S. my 770 street avenger is out performing the eddy I had on mine easily

Street Avenger...Worst carb Holley ever built.
Tell me you dont have a 770cfm on a 318.

Street Avenger...Worst carb Holley ever built.
Tell me you dont have a 770cfm on a 318.
Yep, I do. :) You know why? 'Cause I had it laying around :D !!! Guess what? Works and performs better than the 1405 eddy I took off.... :realcrazy: LOL

Yep, I do. :) You know why? 'Cause I had it laying around :D !!! Guess what? Works and performs better than the 1405 eddy I took off.... :realcrazy: LOL

Well if you go by the CFM calculator, you are waaaaaay over carbed. But,what do I know.

So yah...Give the 600 Ede to your neighbor, and get a 770 Holley Street Avenger.

Well if you go by the CFM calculator, you are waaaaaay over carbed. But,what do I know.

So yah...Give the 600 Ede to your neighbor, and get a 770 Holley Street Avenger.
yep, i'm over CFM'd, but not by as much as you'd think. Mother mopar put 800 cfm TQ's on stock 318's with single exhaust.... and they worked very well!!!!

I throw them cfm calculator's out the window. For me, no book "set timing" or cfm carb or anything else EVER tells my cars where they HAVE to run. They get what they want, and usually end up very happy :D

yep, i'm over CFM'd, but not by as much as you'd think. Mother mopar put 800 cfm TQ's on stock 318's with single exhaust.... and they worked very well!!!!

True, but if you think Chrysler installed the same carb as on their big block cars, your being delusional. These carbs were set up by Chrysler engineers not back road hillbilly's.

So back to the original question....Yes the 600 Ede is perfectly suited for your 318.

My 318 is running pretty good. ...a little funky sometimes though.
I have a Summit rebuilt Thermoquad on it right now, but I have a 600 CFM Edelbrock 1400 in really nice shape I might want to try...I can always go back to the Thermoquad. ...
I'm using a stock iron intake - what adapter would I need to bolt it on?

Also, what do you guys think of an Edelbrock 1400 on my mildly warmed over 318?
600 CFM enough?

View attachment 1714957969
Jeff

Just noticed you have the calibrated for fuel economy, egr, Ca smog, carb.
I have never played with one of those, so im not as familiar with it.
I prefer a 1405. Calibrated for performance, non electric choke.
I suppose you can just plug the Egr, and fuel vapor ports. Not sure ?
Something to think about.

Ok, the 600 was perfect. I'll be sure to bolt it back on and go slower.... because the book said. What does a hillbilly like me know..... LOL

I got a 670 street avenger on my 340 and the thing is garbage. Never takes a tune. Never holds a tune. Rebuilt it twice. Always full of flakes, even after only a couple months. The thing is different every day, even if the weather is the same. It's one of their old ones from when they started making them in china.

I had a 360 with an edelbrock on it and that thing ran tops. Got wicked mileage too.

I didn't buy shares in Holley... LOL. I've had great luck with my 770 street avenger on every car I've put it on. My 318 is no exception. I've owned 3 of the eddy type carbs, all 600's, and they make excellent drivers. They don't perform like a Holley style carb. Go to your local dragstrip and look at all the fast cars. NOBODY has the eddy style carbs. All your big performers are a Holley styled carb.

Except Jpar, he put two eddies up there to do the job of one Holley... :poke:
P.S. - there is a 600 eddy on my low dollar 360 right now. Look at the video. :D

I didn't buy shares in Holley... LOL. I've had great luck with my 770 street avenger on every car I've put it on. My 318 is no exception. I've owned 3 of the eddy type carbs, all 600's, and they make excellent drivers. They don't perform like a Holley style carb. Go to your local dragstrip and look at all the fast cars. NOBODY has the eddy style carbs. All your big performers are a Holley styled carb.

Except Jpar, he put two eddies up there to do the job of one Holley... :poke:
P.S. - there is a 600 eddy on my low dollar 360 right now. Look at the video. :D

Haha I'm sure a 750DP would run much better on my setup. But I've got the new FItech unit I am gunna try out. I will for sure agree that eddys are for mileage/daily drivers and holleys are for performance.

I got a 670 street avenger on my 340 and the thing is garbage. Never takes a tune. Never holds a tune. Rebuilt it twice. Always full of flakes, even after only a couple months. The thing is different every day, even if the weather is the same. It's one of their old ones from when they started making them in china.

I had a 360 with an edelbrock on it and that thing ran tops. Got wicked mileage too.

So let me guess. You had a stumble off idle that you couldnt get rid of. You threw every Holley part in their book at it, and you couldnt get rid of it. Yep, had the same problem. Or was it the chrome finish that was flaking off and getting in the fuel, and then into the jets making driving impossible. I didnt just make it up. Do a simple Google search on the Avenger, see all the unhappy customers, and see why it was the Worst carb Holley ever made.

So let me guess. You had a stumble off idle that you couldnt get rid of. You threw every Holley part in their book at it, and you couldnt get rid of it. Yep, had the same problem.
Let's just call it operator error.... lol

So let me guess. You had a stumble off idle that you couldnt get rid of. You threw every Holley part in their book at it, and you couldnt get rid of it. Yep, had the same problem. Or was it the chrome finish that was flaking off and getting in the fuel, and then into the jets making driving impossible. I didnt just make it up. Do a simple Google search on the Avenger, see all the unhappy customers, and see why it was the Worst carb Holley ever made.

Yup pretty much. Off idle and part throttle idle. Anything under half throttle off idle and she chugs and pisses and moans about it. Anything more than half throttle off idle is no problem, lights em up and goes. Part throttle always has problems. Constant white flake from the chrome finish. Its 10-12 years old. Back when they started making the street avengers in china and all the chrome flakes and is garbage. I never said you made it up. I'm saying I was having the same. I fiddled with it. The weird part? Plugs always look excellent. Still had problems. It's just a bad carb.

...hmmm I use a Street avenger ( not for the first time ) I love him ! The only thing that has to be checked....is the Accelerating pump cam... out of the box the cam is in hole No. 2 / that´s why the car stumbles... and bogs.. you have to use hole No 1 in the cam and in the lever !! Try it...you will be impressed
And before I forget.... if you have a PINK cam ...forget it will never work right . Tthe Orange or the green cam is the way to go....
Greetings Juergen

-
Back