CONTEST : Guess the HP and WIN!

-
429.24 @ 6040 and 382.10 @ 5800.

Converter flashed consistantly at 5700 rpms and with the peak power being so low, I feel that it is running out of camshaft or the heads/intake aren't flowing what I expected. Good news is, this combo will run mid 10's shifting at 6500 rpms or less. Should last a long time! lol

Now to decide if I play with what I got or build a big block. :p

View attachment 1716170563

I would have thought more than this and also wondering what’s with the unusual curve on that chart?

I would have thought more than this and also wondering what’s with the unusual curve on that chart?
Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more (450-475 range) but not disappointed at all with what we got as we had a lot going against us.

1- 5800 stall converter (that spike you see on the printout is the converter flashing at 5700) Definitely losing peak power on the dyno but probably wont be an issue on the track.
2- Cope Racing valve body (shifts are firm and the 2-3 shift is VIOLENT so we ended up starting off in 3rd gear which you can hear in the video) Not a huge deal but I feel like it had some affect.
3- Complete exhaust system so we left some on the table for sure.

We made quite a few pulls and was playing with timing and jetting the whole time to get it tuned to the point where there wasn't anything more to do on the dyno. Solid 12.5 AFRs and the plugs (burn and timing mark) looked perfect. We will fine tune and get it dialed on the track.

Here's something that shocked me. The car made more power with the 5" tall K&N air cleaner than it did without. It even got a touch leaner with the air cleaner on which is opposite what I would expect to see. Only thing I can think of that explains what we saw is the fact that the air cleaner base has a nice radius to it that somehow improves the air flow. Whatever it is, I'm glad I can leave the air cleaner on to prevent eating rocks.... lol

Last edited:
3. Full exhaust.
Pardon me for not knowing, but....
What are you running for "full exhaust"?
Yeah, that was a bit confusing. Edited to say "complete".

3" duals, x-pipe, welded Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers and tailpipes.

Yeah, that was a bit confusing. Edited to say "complete".

3" duals, x-pipe, welded Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers and tailpipes.
On the dyno if I remember correctly the exhaust pipes 5 inch with huge mufflers was a 20 HP loss vs how I will run in the car 18 inch collectors

Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more (450-475 range) but not disappointed at all with what we got as we had a lot going against us.

1- 5800 stall converter (that spike you see on the printout is the converter flashing at 5700) Definitely losing peak power on the dyno but probably wont be an issue on the track.
2- Cope Racing valve body (shifts are firm and the 2-3 shift is VIOLENT so we ended up starting off in 3rd gear which you can hear in the video) Not a huge deal but I feel like it had some affect.

We made quite a few pulls and was playing with timing and jetting the whole time to get it tuned to the point where there wasn't anything more to do on the dyno. Solid 12.5 AFRs and the plugs (burn and timing mark) looked perfect. We will fine tune and get it dialed on the track.

Here's something that shocked me. The car made more power with the 5" tall K&N air cleaner than it did without. It even got a touch leaner with the air cleaner on which is opposite what I would expect to see. Only thing I can think of that explains what we saw is the fact that the air cleaner base has a nice radius to it that somehow improves the air flow. Whatever it is, I'm glad I can leave the air cleaner on to prevent eating rocks.... lol
That is very interesting that it made more power with the air cleaner, there must have been turbulent air .

On the dyno if I remember correctly the exhaust pipes 5 inch with huge mufflers was a 20 HP loss vs how I will run in the car 18 inch collectors
Yeah, I have 18” collector extensions as well that I can use when going for low et. For car club challenge, mufflers are required so that’s why I have them on the car now. Easy enough to uncork and bolt on the extensions…. lol

Crazy right?
Engine masters found horsepower with a filtered velocity stack, and also a filtered

salad bowl . (air cleaner test episode.)
They think airflow down into the carb is better than airflow across the top of the carb.
My guess is that the 5" tall element, and radiused base is a factor.

Yeah, I have 18” collector extensions as well that I can use when going for low et. For car club challenge, mufflers are required so that’s why I have them on the car now. Easy enough to uncork and bolt on the extensions…. lol
I would love to hear the results of an A-B test of open with extensions verses your very good full system. I'd bet on less than a tenth. Maybe two hundredths.
But I'm prejudiced. I think I raced uncorked once in my life, many years ago. (car was going 13.ohs, wanted a 12, bad!....went 12.96)

When I get bored someday after I'm finished with the car I'm going to make myself some merge collectors and see what they do.

I’ve seen guys claim 530-560 hp from trick flow heads on 408 cubes, either out of the box or ported. If you factor 20% drivetrain loss this package is right about where it should be imo, right about 535hp. I don’t think the camshaft is the limiting factor here. I think you’re running out of cylinder head. And it shouldn’t be shocking at all that a nice radius entry at the top of the carb is better than a sharp shear edge. The filter just ends up not being that much restriction.

When I get bored someday after I'm finished with the car I'm going to make myself some merge collectors and see what they do.
I think I recorded an engine masters a couple days ago that just tested those. I don't remember watching the episode tho.
Now I'm curious. Gonna find it, after the Michigan/Ohio st.game.

You need better mufflers, lol. If you have access, check out engine masters 1000 hp muffler test. Hooker max flows actually MADE power over a straight pipe, on a 1000+hp blown rat.

I’ve seen guys claim 530-560 hp from trick flow heads on 408 cubes, either out of the box or ported. If you factor 20% drivetrain loss this package is right about where it should be imo, right about 535hp. I don’t think the camshaft is the limiting factor here. I think you’re running out of cylinder head. And it shouldn’t be shocking at all that a nice radius entry at the top of the carb is better than a sharp shear edge. The filter just ends up not being that much restriction.
Yeah I'd agree about the cylinder heads too.
That's a Mopar issue, sucks!

You need better mufflers, lol. If you have access, check out engine masters 1000 hp muffler test. Hooker max flows actually MADE power over a straight pipe, on a 1000+hp blown rat.
According to some dude who builds headers and Dyno tests he stated that a Dyno system should run 8 inch pipe over 600 HP.
I'll check that out.

Yeah I'd agree about the cylinder heads too.
That's a Mopar issue, sucks!
A 190cc head on 408 cubes will run out of breath pretty quick. It’s actually surprising how well they do considering how small they are.

A 190cc head on 408 cubes will run out of breath pretty quick. It’s actually surprising how well they do considering how small they are.
Yep its just like my 240s on my 470 . It really struggled to get enough air

220 cc heads on Chevy 383 is pretty common.
Mopar guys just can't catch a break lol

Yep. I had out-of-the-box 215cc heads on a 406 chevy fifteen years ago, and they were nothing compared to what is available for a small chevy now.

I agree the heads could be better but I must say they are pretty darn good out of the box. In fact, the cam and carb are the only parts that aren't out of the box on this build which is why I am not disappointed. I find that just about everyone who claims big HP either doesn't have a printout or they somehow manipulated the outcome. At least I know my results are real.... lol

I think I need to step up and just get some crazy ported Victor heads with a matched Super Victor intake and a Dominator.... lol

Speedmaster claims their cnc'ed Victor copies are 325ccs, more than 50 bigger than 270 tf's.

Huge by Mopar standards, and the same size as 50 year old cast iron big block chevy heads. Sad really.
Yeah I believe the sm 325 is the actual max wedge port. Tf 270 is off be quite a bit.

-
Back