Convert front end of '74 Duster

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Thinking of going fiberglass hood and fenders to get some weight off the nose of my big block '74 Duster. Can I just change the hood/fenders to a '70 style? I will do a pin-on type so no worries about the latch support. I will change the bumper/grille as well of course.

Yes, it's just a matter of changing the entire front clip, as you described. I've done it converting early & later Dusters to a Dart Sport. '74 should have standard front bumper brackets like earlier ones.

Yes, it's just a matter of changing the entire front clip, as you described. I've done it converting early & later Dusters to a Dart Sport. '74 should have standard front bumper brackets like earlier ones.

Actually, if the car was built before December, it might not have the standard bumper. For the '74 model year they actually started with shock mount bumpers, then went back to standard bumpers in early December sometime. The rest of the '74 model year ended up with standard bumpers. But the cars made before December won't have the mounting holes for standard brackets. The cars from mid-December on have mounts for both the standard brackets and the shock mount brackets.

My '74 had bumper shocks in the rear only.

Then it should have the mounts for both the standard brackets and the shock mount brackets in the front, and the earlier bumper brackets will bolt straight on.

This is a picture of my '74, which should match with the '74's made from December '73 through the end of the model year in July '74, and have all 3 mounting locations.

img_1917-jpg.1714951100.jpg

These are the other styles, although I screwed up with this one. The bottom one should be August '73 to December '73 ('74 model year) and 75+. 67-73 had the standard bracket mounts, August '73 - December '73 (ish) and 75+ should have just the shock mount, and December '73 (ish) through July '74 will have mounts for both the standard and the shock mount brackets.
aframerails-2-copy-2-jpg.1714950818.jpg

Thank you! I will go check my car now. Not scared to drill holes anyway. This car already has custom front rails, motorplate and rack.

-
Back