Converter for 904

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
I have a 67 dart I may need to replace the converter on. It is a 904 trans. I assume it is original but don't know. Is there an easy way to tell? I looked on Summits Web site and their converters were listed for 68 and up. Are the converters or transmissions different from 67 to 68? It does have a factory drain plug in it but I know that those were found in converters at least to 69. Just trying to get the right one and just looking for a stock type converter. Thanks for any help.

Depends really on the year of the trans.
Do you have the side rail numbers off of it so we can find out?

I could be wrong here, but I thought 66 or 67 was the year they changed to the later style that you are seeing converters for.

Here are a couple of ways.
Late 1962 to 1967: Crankshaft Pilot measures: 1.550", 18 spline input shaft
Watch out for this one: 1968-1972: Pilot measures: 1.550", 27 spline input shaft. No common, but still a possibility.

1968 Up: Pilot measures : 1.810"m 27 spline input shaft.

If there is a Trans-Star warehouse near you, go to them with your converter and get them to match it up. No sense in going to Summit etc., as they buy from companies like Trans-Star.

Here are a couple of ways.
Late 1962 to 1967: Crankshaft Pilot measures: 1.550", 18 spline input shaft
Watch out for this one: 1968-1972: Pilot measures: 1.550", 27 spline input shaft. No common, but still a possibility.

1968 Up: Pilot measures : 1.810"m 27 spline input shaft.

If there is a Trans-Star warehouse near you, go to them with your converter and get them to match it up. No sense in going to Summit etc., as they buy from companies like Trans-Star.

Great info, thanks.

Sorry guys, I just got back to this. Too much going on taking away from car time. Not familiar with terminology. Is the crankshaft pilot the part on the TC that fits into the crankshaft end recess? There is a smaller inner splined shaft and a larger outer splined shaft. Is the outer splined shaft the " input shaft"? The part of the TC that fits into the crank was 1.55, the larger outer shaft has 27 splines, and the smaller inner shaft has 18 splines (if that one matters)

-
Back