Converter Snout and Crank End

-

TheDartSide

Reaction score
Trying to mate Trans and Motor converter wont go in.

Converter snout slightly bigger than crank end Converter outside diameter measure 1.807 . The crank end inside diameter measures 1.778? Measured the old motor crank end and it is roughly 1.806

I was reading about 273 cranks being smaller but should be 1.50

Any suggestions of best thing to do? Or possible issue

Thanks

I have seen them with rust buildup that wouldn't let the converter slide in. I used a small diameter wire wheel on a die grinder to clean out the rust. Put a little grease on it when you assemble it too so it won't rust up and stick.

Just a dumb question, but is there anything inside the crank pilot hole, like a bushing or something?
To the best of my knowledge, all 727's have the same size pilot, 1.8".
Perhaps some of the very early 727's had a different pilot(snout) size, but I'm not sure.
Will do some checking and get back to you.

Just back from my old employers website. Looking at their catalog, ALL 727 converters from 1962 on had a 1.810" pilot.

I am going thru this currently with my 340. It was formerly a 4 speed car. When I bought it it had a 727 behind it. Took motor out for a differnt car 68 Cuda with 904.
went to put all togather and torque pilot for 904 wont fit back of crank hole. brand new tqc was 1.75 and hole on crank was 1.50. I had to order another new tq from Hughes. Samll pilot but 29/28? spline set up. Everyone I spoke to saif they had never seen that before. t must have something to do with the 71 340 forged crank 4 speed set up.
Good luck
Todd in Tulsa

I am going thru this currently with my 340. It was formerly a 4 speed car. When I bought it it had a 727 behind it. Took motor out for a differnt car 68 Cuda with 904.
went to put all togather and torque pilot for 904 wont fit back of crank hole. brand new tqc was 1.75 and hole on crank was 1.50. I had to order another new tq from Hughes. Samll pilot but 29/28? spline set up. Everyone I spoke to saif they had never seen that before. t must have something to do with the 71 340 forged crank 4 speed set up.
Good luck
Todd in Tulsa

I can't say for sure on MOPARS, but for Chebbies, the crank pilot hole for a stick car was differnt than for an automatic. 2 different cranks.

Probably the same for MOPARS.

-
Back