Converter Whine

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Summer is here and finally got the car going. It's a 340 with a 904 behind it.
I swapped out the Comp Cam 274 and installed a Lunati VooDoo 702 cam and lifters. It started after a couple spins and I fast idled it for about 5 minutes when the oil filter started leaking. Got that fixed and idled it for 10 more minutes and seams like the cam break in went good. Also I put new rod bearings in it just because the engine was out but they really didn't need changed.
I also replaced the Boss Hog converter with a custom built Edge converter that Andre recommended for it. A 2600 to 2800 stall 9 1/2 inch.
I drove it for the first time Saturday and it has a whine to it. If I just drive it easy it shifts good and you can't even tell it has a higher stall to it. But when I step on it the converter slips it has a rather loud whine. If I take my out of the gas the whine goes away. Is that normal? Or should I call Edge and ask them?
I have never had a car with this high of a stall and just wondering if this is something I should worry about.
Then too I'm not using an external oil cooler. Any thoughts on size I should be looking for?

Contact Edge. There's not a lot inside a converter that could cause a whine. About the only thing that could possibly whine, if they were put in, would be any Torrington bearings that might have been installed. It might also be a good idea to check the oil level in the transmission.
As far as the transmission cooler goes, get one installed. Smaller diameter converters will generate more heat than a normal converter, and don't cheap out on the cooler.
A good cooler is made by a company called Tru-Cool, it is a rad style cooler and one of the best. Keep it in the air flow by mounting it behind the grille. B & M sells them under their own brand name.

Thanks transman!
Did check the fluid again. It was a 1/2 quart low.
I drove it farther today and got the motor hot. It sounds like valve train noise now. Readjusted the rockers and there weren't any that were real loose but it still making noise.

-
Back