Converter will no go in all the way

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Had 727 rebuilt, using same converter that came out of it. This is a high stall racing converter, but I've had it in and out of this transmission several times for engine rebuilds and I've never had to wrestle with this thing before like this!
BTW the tranny is out of the car on the bench.
I've rotated the converter, rocked it side to side as I rotate, pull out slightly as I rotate, pulled up on it as I rotate..
Anybody have a trick to getting these things to go in all the way?
I've been fighting this thing for about an hour now.

I put tang straight up and down, mark engine side of convertor and try to slide it in. Have had a couple that wouldnt pop right in. Kinda frustrating.

UPDATE: I finally got it. I took a long screwdriver and played around with the gears in the converter a little bit and it went in fairly easy.

Sometimes standing the trans up on the tail shaft helps. Messy but it works. Glad you got it figured out.

Sometimes standing the trans up on the tail shaft helps.

I had an old Craftsman adjustable clamping sawhorse laying around, so I cut it up and made a bottom base with hole in it...... It's now set-up specifically to hold Torqueflites upright.... very handy for reassembly while keeping the tail off the floor, and just the right height so you can still access everything thru the pan area.

BLACK+DECKER Workmate Portable Workbench, 550-Pound Capacity (BDST11000) - Power Tool Stands - Amazon.com

1080243.webp

Last edited:
-
Back