converter ????

-

68gts340

Reaction score
can some one explain the differance between " tight " and " loose " converters? .....also what is the average " slip" ( percentage ) on each .....also how can you tell if one is going bad?

A tight converter would be like a stock converter, and a loose converter around 4500 rpm I think, with 4.10's and a 4200 converter, I gotta give a bunch of rpm to be moving, All depends on what your usage will be.

I've always thought about the difference this way. Say you buy a 2500 RPM stall "tight" converter and from idle you punch the throttle. The engine will come up to lets say 2600 RPM and the converter is doing all it can to transfer the torque to the tranny. Now lets say you buy a 2500 RPM "loose" converter and punch the throttle. That converter may flash for an instant to 3000 RPM before it really starts to transfer the torque through the tranny. As far as slip is concerned, it's probably dependent on how the manufactorer has designed the converter as all "non lockup" converters have a percentage of slip hence that absolute must for a good tranny oil cooler. That's the best I can do. :evil2:

-
Back