Convertible top adjustment.

-
This a hard question to answer without seeing what is going on. There are several possibilities, it could be one, or all, or something altogether different.

1. I suspect nothing has come out of adjustment.
2. Bent top frame pieces can cause binding.
3. Rusted articulation points in frame system can cause binding.
4. One or both hydraulic lifting cylinders may not be full of fluid due to a leak.
5. One or both hydraulic lifting cylinders may have bent push rods, and or may not be attached to car’s body tightly allowing miss alignment and causing binding.
6. Low fluid level in top pump.
7. Other stuff that hasn’t come to mind yet.

One test to see what and where a problem may be is to detach both hydraulic push rams from the top’s frame, and manually rise & lower top looking for problems. Disconnecting the hydraulics from the picture simplifies things.

Next with the rams still disconnected, operate the hydraulic pump and see if both rams rise and lower at the same rate, and move the same distance.

Chances are good that one of the pistons is not moving its full travel causing the top frame to **** to one side, and binding. This can be a result of low fluid, a leaking piston allowing air to enter system, or other leaks in the system.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I have changed the hydraulic lines and cylinders within the last year so I'll try that first. Are there cables within the frame assembly that can be adjusted?

Are there cables within the frame assembly that can be adjusted?

There are cables the run along the outside edge of the top that control its side fit, but don’t have anything to do with the folding action. They are not adjustable. It is possible they have corroded, and perhaps one of them has broken, but not too likely.

I think once you detach the hydraulic cylinders from the top frame, and manually rise and lower top you will detect the binding problem. I wouldn’t discount a problem with hydraulics just because of new cylinders. Test run hydraulics with cylinders detached checking for full travel, and or equal travel.

My convertible has developed a problem where by the top doesn't close all the way. How do you adjust it?
By any chance has it been stored in a hot garage for an extended period, top down? Mine was and evidently the top material shrunk, stopping the top about 2 inches short of the header. I gently pulled it manually both with the pump running and without, it still didn't come down all the way and I could see how tight the material was. Luckily, the top was kind of shot and I was just beginning work on the car, so replacing the top is already in the budget. I don't know how it might be re-stretched if this is the problem.

By any chance has it been stored in a hot garage for an extended period, top down? Mine was and evidently the top material shrunk, stopping the top about 2 inches short of the header. I gently pulled it manually both with the pump running and without, it still didn't come down all the way and I could see how tight the material was. Luckily, the top was kind of shot and I was just beginning work on the car, so replacing the top is already in the budget. I don't know how it might be re-stretched if this is the problem.

Actually it did get quite warm over the summer down here (coming into our winter now) and the top was pretty much down all the time so that's a possibility too. Hopefully when we get a few fine days I can get out to have a look at it. We are planning our Independance Day Car Club run and rain, hail or shine I want to get out there, so I want the top fixed.

Shrinkage of the top generally that causes difficulty latching it to the windshield header. Fix for shrinkage is to let top warm in sun to become supple.

I have left my tops down for a year or two at a time, and a warm sunny day works wonders.

You said the top was not folding fully into the well. That indicates some binding or reduced travel of top frame. That is why it is important to separated hydraulic system from top frame articulation to ease diagnosing the problem.

-
Back