Convertible top front header to windshield seal - help!

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
When I got this '67 Barracuda, the top had long since rotted and and been torn off by the PO. So now its time for the upholstery shop (long time employees with 'vert top experience, just not Abody experience) to install the top.
It's coming along nicely, tightening up, but the front header does not seal. The corners and the clamps are tight, but above the center of the windshield, the header does not seal with both seals. It looks bowed, or like its missing something.

Since this car's top was missing, I am not sure if it has all of its seals in place. Not installed is a piece of "windlace" that we are starting to wonder if it belongs here to make that front seal... or if the header itself is slightly bent upwards in the middle. We just dont have a good point of reference and the Plymouth shop manuals and Barracuda convertible supplement are not helpful on this.

So, fellow soft top or upholstery guys, could you please post some photos from the front of your car showing the header to windshield frame seal with the top down (up close), then open your top some and take a photo of the seal arrangement on the bottom of the header that has to seal down.

Any photos and sage advice will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5991[1].JPG

I just went out to the garage and took some pics of my 67 Barracuda convertible top. Let me know what other views you need.

If you send me a PM and include your email address I could back it out of the garage and take a video if you thought that would be helpful.

26DBF3C2-4A96-45DF-AE1F-BB2B7D82AC38.jpeg

519B2214-C55A-4835-B73B-46E6C8442A5B.jpeg

A2B2277F-FE82-4D2C-9CD8-B1A480F07C3B.jpeg

F2A6078B-544A-466B-9C79-61EDE6E03D04.jpeg

5F0B97AD-6EA3-4131-80E5-CC5ACA1E78A6.jpeg

Thanks. The top guy and I are kind of at wit's end, so all of this helps.
I will be at the upholstery shop early next week to get more photos (in daylight) of mine's current condition.
I will send you a PM with my email and info.
Bob

Several more photos of the top, taken yesterday. I will be back there early next week and take more photos in the sunlight. Note how tight the top clamps are pinching down on the sides, and you can see the "gap" in the middle.

And before anyone asks, that's the shop owner's restored 41 Ford sedan behind the Barracuda. It was his father's car.

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5648.JPG

IMG_5649.JPG

Did the PO have to repair the header? Like, weld in patches and such for rust repair? Therefore, warpping the crap out of it? I had to fix a header on a 68 vert a few years back. Those pieces can RUST!!

-
Back