Convertible top won't go up

-

williaml

Reaction score
Please help we are moving next week in NJ which is too cold to drive with the top down. The motor sounds like it is on but the top moves only slightly. Does anyone know where the pump is located I'm hoping it needs fluid. If so what kind should I use and where is the reservoir located...

Thank you for reading

Here are a couple of pictures I found of the pump location for the early A.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Pull the cardboard panel between the trunk and the seat back, and the pump is in the middle of the hump. If it's original, it came with transmission fluid.

My '64 had that problem and it was leaky pistons and it wouldn't operate even with the pump filled. You can probably raise it by having one person lift the top out of the well to help the pistons, while the other person operates the switch

Please help we are moving next week in NJ which is too cold to drive with the top down. The motor sounds like it is on but the top moves only slightly. Does anyone know where the pump is located I'm hoping it needs fluid. If so what kind should I use and where is the reservoir located...

Thank you for reading
if it's an early A then it's behind the rear seat underneath the top well cover

you can see all the hoses routed to the center of the back seat.
That where the motor/pump us
View attachment !!!!well mounting area.jpg
it's hidden here so you'll have to remove the rear seat to get to it or you might be able to remove just the cardboard(mines not stock so I can't help ya there)
View attachment 0128131545.jpg
here you can see the tray it will be on. near the end of the silver area going towards the trunk
View attachment DSCF3019.jpg
pump is circled
View attachment !!!!pump location.jpg

you can add trans fluid to top it off and see if it's work. plug is on the side and a PITA to fill. find a small hose that will fit in there to fill it. yeah your going to spill a bunch till you get the hang of it and even then you'll spill some:D

dang I was slow on the typing ???? when I started typing there were no replies. when I posted the were 3!

Thank you for all the advice... Thank you so much for the photos it really helped. We got it up....

-
Back