Convertible top

-

MBF

Reaction score
Just bought a new boot for 68 Barracuda Convertible and seems to be a bit small , looks like the top is not flush should the top be flush into the well ?

On my turquoise 68, it's the original boot, but not the original top. It doesn't fold completely flush, but it doesn't stick up above the body line very far. My experience with new boots is that they are always too small and needs to be stretched out on a hot sunny day to get them on for at least the first time. Both of my 68's seem to fold to the same level. Neither completely flush with the body lines on the sides.
Looking at my buddy's Dart, his looks like it might fold about the same as my Barracudas. In the photo of my Barracuda on the street, the top is down with no boot installed.

DSCN4865.JPG
DSCN4867.JPG
DSCN6665.JPG
DSCN6666.JPG
DSCN6667.JPG
243_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=biwS-riVORAAX-GRvaz&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.jpg
731_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=Alb2u-3w6FsAX9EsoZp&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-2.jpg

View attachment 1715975361
945_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=ORH4MnOcAa0AX-RW_ys&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.jpg
507_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=nwgARK5Gm4cAX9jxraS&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I will post some pics its definitely not flat , also it seems to missing the track on the back of the back seat to attach the boot

On my turquoise 68, it's the original boot, but not the original top. It doesn't fold completely flush, but it doesn't stick up above the body line very far. My experience with new boots is that they are always too small and needs to be stretched out on a hot sunny day to get them on for at least the first time. Both of my 68's seem to fold to the same level. Neither completely flush with the body lines on the sides.
Looking at my buddy's Dart, his looks like it might fold about the same as my Barracudas. In the photo of my Barracuda on the street, the top is down with no boot installed.

View attachment 1715975351 View attachment 1715975352 View attachment 1715975343 View attachment 1715975344 View attachment 1715975345 View attachment 1715975356View attachment 1715975362
View attachment 1715975361View attachment 1715975363View attachment 1715975364
I will post some pics its definitely mine is not flat , also it seems to missing the track on the back of the back seat to attach the boot

Oh, well, you are going to need that track. It seems to be a generic extrusion, but it is curved to match the seat back. One reason the top may not go down flat is if an aftermarket top used a heavier material than stock. My old car (light blue 'cuda above) used a pinpoint grain material. Leather grain vinyls seem to be heavier and less flexible. Or it may just need a little adjustment to the frame.

Oh, well, you are going to need that track. It seems to be a generic extrusion, but it is curved to match the seat back. One reason the top may not go down flat is if an aftermarket top used a heavier material than stock. My old car (light blue 'cuda above) used a pinpoint grain material. Leather grain vinyls seem to be heavier and less flexible. Or it may just need a little adjustment to the frame.

68-69 convertibles used the leather grain top material.

any tips how to find that track for the back seat

Look on forBbodiesonly, forEbodiesonly (I suspect they would be similar) look at all manner of aluminum extruder, Place a wanted ad here, I suspect early As would be similar.

A machine shop could mill one in flat stock that you would need to slightly curve. A body shop with a metal stretcher wheel could do that. Or you might be able to screw it on and it might follow the curvature.

Either way there were only about 12,000 total 67 thru 69 dart convertibles made. So finding one will be a challenge
Good luck

Thank you all any tips how to find that track for the back seat ?
Look on forBbodiesonly, forEbodiesonly (I suspect they would be similar) look at all manner of aluminum extruder, Place a wanted ad here, I suspect early As would be similar.

A machine shop could mill one in flat stock that you would need to slightly curve. A body shop with a metal stretcher wheel could do that. Or you might be able to screw it on and it might follow the curvature.

Either way there were only about 12,000 total 67 thru 69 dart convertibles made. So finding one will be a challenge
Good luck
Thank you i will keep you posted

The back seat of a 67-69 Dart convertible is the same as the Barracuda's back seat. Look for someone parting out either a Barracuda or a Dart convertible for that channel, but they might want you to buy the entire back seat to get it. If you do buy a back seat, just be sure it includes the channel you need. Here's a picture of the
channel on my project 68 Dart.
DSCN6668.JPG

There may be another option. Don't know if it would work, but maybe. A reproduction channel is available for a 65 Mustang convertible. If the boot fits in the channel, perhaps it could be made to work for your Barracuda. There are plenty of Mustang convertibles around, look for one at a show and ask the owner to show you what the channel looks like, before you order. Below are pictures of the Mustang part.
MOLDING, BOOT CHANNEL - #54676-1A - National Parts Depot
54676-1a_20190920150944.jpg

54676-1a_1_20190920150937.jpg

I sent you a pm about a 65 channel for sale. A bit shorter but the price is right.

-
Back